Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Irregular thread shape

rdshear

I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find a good answer.

Is there any way to cut a rope groove in a cable drum or an irregular thread shape where mastercam would step off a thread profile to turn a thread.

Basically it would need to create a series of passes to rough and then finish a round profile (in the case of a rope groove in a cable drum) or a "chained" profile for an irregular thread shape.

Is this even possible?? confused.gif

I would be using G31 or G33 for the thread cycle.

Rick

Rick,

I believe you would need to make up a thread tool with the proper thread/rope form for the finishing pass but you might start with something else to rough it out to reduce surface contact area while roughing.

The other way would be to mill it with a ball mill if you have "C" axis capabilities.

If you create geometry at the starting point of the thread to represent the form you want, lets say round, then create tool geometry and copy it touching tangently to the thread form in enough positions for each one to represent one pass.Then create however many thread ops you need to represent all the passes, each op start point is clicked on the tool geometry for its start point and cut as a single pass.It can be done, but this could end up like bible translation so hopefully my explanation gives you a clue, failing that let me know and I will come up with a file example, I have done it a few times.

Thanks Jeff,

I'll look that over and hopefully it will work on our controll with little modification. Our control is a Heidenhain 4110 that the manual says supports "DIN Macros".

I must confess though at being quite the G-Code novice. I can usually "follow" a G-Code program but often have to lookup what some codes are to fully understand them. All our machines except one here are programmed in their conversational language. The one we do post G-Code to is most often programmed in coversational by the operator.

The new Ryazan lathe we have is usually programmed conversational as well. However due to a bug, the conversational threading doesn't work properly and we have to program that in G-Code. This is usually not a big deal for a standard V-thread.

However, the "thread" I have to program is for a 16-1/2 Ft long cable drum with LH and RH grooves (81" long respectively) on a 42" PD meeting at a 4-1/2" long run out at center. The grooves are for a 1-3/8" dia rope with a 1-1/2" pitch.

I'm sure this will prove quite the challenge. biggrin.gif

quote:

However, the "thread" I have to program is for a 16-1/2 Ft long cable drum with LH and RH grooves (81" long respectively) on a 42" PD meeting at a 4-1/2" long run out at center. The grooves are for a 1-3/8" dia rope with a 1-1/2" pitch.

Yep, this macro was made specifically for drum threads.

Although I didn't do a 42" P.D. The biggest I ran was like 25" or so.

I suggest testing it out on a 6" (or whatever) piece of scrap stock to get an idea of how the macro works.

John, I don't think MC can do drum threads.

They are like a big V groove with a big radius at the bottom.

The best way to cut these is to use a smaller tool, and cut the thread form via a contour, down one side,meet in the middle, and then down the other side.

Pretty much a bunch of G33 moves if I remember correctly, it's been almost 10 years.

John, I really appreciate the help and I'll work on getting the info to you as soon as I can.

This machine is relatively new and currently we have been hand writing programs at the control. I am going to develop a post for it but haven't yet. I'm currently working on another project but hope to get into full swing on the cable drum sometime next week.

Work here has picked up exponetially in recent weeks and I posted in the forum trying to make sure I was on track when I "officially" start this project.

Thanks again

Rick

that's nice

this will be a huge improvement in turning

we do a lot of special and big threat (like 3 or 2 TPI ACME thread)

when you get an ISO insert the 3 or 4 last roughing pass need a huge amount of torque

if i can profile the thread in the same way of Swept2D in mill this will be pretty nice

i think that is time for CNC Solution to put some major investments in lathe....

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, Mastercam should support this type of feature. We have X9 with service contract and It does not support such a threading feature.

NOTE: I tried the RopeCam Demo. I liked it, its simple. BUT, it posts in all XXX. The post is useless. I understand, they want to get paid for their work. No problem. After playing with it for a about an hour, I asked for a quote. They got back to me quickly, with a professional quote for about xxxxxxxx USD. For us, its not worth it. So, I have no info on whether or not the post out put is good.

Any one, have a elegant solution, or partially elegant :) solution for making rope / cable threads in MC? I am trying the Grid Pock method....We will see

Edited by JParis
Edit to remove pricing, pricing discussion on the forum is not allowed

One of our vendors does all our rope drums for us. I have no idea how they are doing it. 80 " long is standard. Some are longer

16" dia +.

There is talk of buying big enough lathe to do the work here, but ......

A form tool with the exact shape. then lie to the machine about the pitch. THe deeper you go the more the tool will be engaged. Not the best idea in this case.

It would be nice to break it up with a smaller tool. Run both side of the groove like a surface path. Doable if the software can do the geo of if you are good on macros.

Machineguy