Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma DNC-B and Cimco Edit

johnner

We have a Okuma mill with a OSP-E100 control and we purchased the DNC-B option,Im tring to drip feed using Cimco Editor that comes with Mastercam but cant get the laptop to communicate with the machine, does anybody have the parameter settings needed to make this work,I cant believe I need to purchase special software to make this work, Ive searched all over the forum and theres people using Cimco but thats all I can find, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my procedure:

1)connect laptop to machine via RS-232

2)place the DNC communication switch to "on"

3)power up the Okuma

4)select auto key

5)place the buffer switch to "on"

6)press main program (F1)main program window appears.

Then I am supposed to press the program select key again (F1) to get the main program (DNC-B) pop-up window to key in the program name.

How ever the program select key is grayed out which leads me to believe the laptop and machine are not communicating.

I have DNC-B on one machine and use Cimco Editor to drip files

mine is setup like this:

Standard Serial Protocol

Port information

Com2 7600 7E2

standard ISO mill

make sure that both switches are in the up position on the side of your mill. There should be a switch for communication and another one for Buffer. For drip feeding they should both be up.

I just got off the phone with a company called Sharper Solutions which sells Cimco products and he told me that the Cimco editor will DNC to Fanuc controls,but the Okuma I need to step up to Cimco DNC-max which has the right protocals and hand shaking,Im going to download a trial version of that and give it a try!

I think that the dude might be feeding you a line.

I can drip feed with the version of Cimco that comes with Mastercam.

although we bought a stand alone version just to give myself some options. The version I have on the DNC computer is Cimco version 5. And it is not DNC MAX.

tell me step by step, how you are trying to send it. Maybe there's a problem other than Cimco.

SECTION 1 OVERVIEW OF NETWORK SYSTEM

DNC-T/DT/RT FUNCTIONS

The system makes the OSP-E100/E10 network-connectable through an EtherneEt. eospitn1001

This function enables the OSP-E100/E10 to easily exchange data on machining with a commercial

personal computer that runs on Windows NT.

1. Features

(1) Simple interconnection Eeospitn1002

TCP/IP, the standard protocol in the industry, is used as the communication protocol, ensuring

an interconnection between the OSP-E100/E10 and almost any PC. The OSP-E100/E10 is

connectable to up to eight PCs.

(2) High-speed file transfer

Part program files can be transferred at high speed between a PC and the OSP.

Because the industry-standard FTP is used for file transfer, no special program is required in

the PC.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

This is what the manual says"no special program is required " I told you

quote:

3)power up the Okuma

4)select auto key

I was always told to set comms and buffer switches ON , then boot up the machine

Connecting to the RS232 can occur at any time

so

1)place the DNC communication switch to "on"

2)place the buffer switch to "on"

3)Re-boot the Okuma - should show R-METHOD on main page

4)connect cables

5)on PC -> Open Cimco, open NCfile, select machine, send

5)on machine -> cycle start

This is assuming that the cable and transfer settings are proved OK

( can you send/recieve a file before trying any DNC work ?)

I tried restarting the machine with both switches set to "on" and that didnt work,the cable is brand new just had it made by my Mastercam reseller,I assume they know what there doing.

we dont have this machine hard wired,we send and recieve programs from the floppy drive,so this is new to us,Im tring to DNC from laptop,I dont if its the laptop or the cable or the machine!!! frown.gif

Here's my parameters:

Cimco edit5: port-com1

stop bits-2

baud rate-4800

data bits-7

parity-eve

flow control-software

Laptop,device settings,port settings:

bits per sec-4800

data bits-7

parity-even

stop bits-2

flow control-xon/xoff

Okuma:

A1 protocol-A

A2 communcation devise-CHA:

A3 baud rate-4800

A4 rs232 stop bits-2

A5 parity-even

A6 transmit code-ASCII

A7 message code-ETX

A8 NC prgram-YES

B1 sets tape code-ISO

B2 carries out tape-NO

B3 new line-CRLF

B4 one block-0

B7 program data-0

Jeff,I believe its a variation of drip feed,Okuma calls it DNC-B, its a expensive option we purchased because we wanted to run bigger file sizes,Im using the Okuma special functions manual and it says to:

3)power up the Okuma

4)select auto key

Iam supposed to press (F1)again main program sellect but it grayed out (not a option) so thats as far as I can go!!!! banghead.gif

the Program Select button is grayed out?

on that screen, what other choices do you have?

device, file name, sort,memory mode,sel mode change,ok,cancel I have all of those options, with HD Mode grayed out.

I'm thinking you don't have the control set to the correct mode maybe?

Is it still trying to read from the floppy drive?

FD0: I think is the floppy drive

I was thinking the same thing,but that had no effect,I did figure one thing out,my start procedure was wrong for protocol "A" I was supposed to:

DNC communication "ON"

turn on power supply

sellect "AUTO"

place buffer operation to "ON"

press "CYCLE START" (program select not necessary)

now I get alarm 3218

alarm C DNC start condition 1

the CNC is not in the normal state when communicating using protocol "A"

quote:

johnner did you, just previously, do an MDI function? If you did you have to hit reset. because the machine thinks it's already in the middle of a program.

Good idea, do you have a blue icon of the letter i on the top right corner? Like when you're in the middle of editing a program?

No I was in AUTO not MDI and it keeps giving me that alarm 3218,any other machine tool that I have used its a matter of a couple of key strokes to get the control ready to recieve a program,and when its ready to recieve a program it lets you know with some sort of acknowledgment like EXCUTE or READY

quote:

No I was in AUTO not MDI and it keeps giving me that alarm 3218,any other machine tool that I have used its a matter of a couple of key strokes to get the control ready to recieve a program,and when its ready to recieve a program it lets you know with some sort of acknowledgment like EXCUTE or READY

It should be THAT easy on your Okuma too. All I do is hit cycle start, and then send the program.

In fact I don't have to reboot the okuma to switch back and forth between running a buffer program and DNC-B program. I just flip the switch and go.

There is something that just isn't setup right yet.