Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Head Porting on a Haas

AutoCraft Engines

Hello All,

We've been challenged to CNC Port out engine heads on our Haas VF3 with the TRT160 trunnion. I've got a solid post processor but I'm stumped on how to fixture the heads so we can machine all 4 ports.

Here are a couple of links:

AutoCraft Engines Homepage

Link to Head section of the website

On the webpage with the heads you'll get a rough idea of how the head looks. This is for a Boxer (Porsche style) Volkswagon Racing Engine. The 2 inside ports are the Intakes that flow back to the intake manifold (center of the head) and the 2 outside ports are the Exhausts that for to the very left & right sides of the head.

If anyone has any ideas I'd dance on your birthday!

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum! cheers.gif

Head porting is not for the tame of heart so be careful! If you're wanting to machine all 4 ports in 1 setup you'll probably need to set the part up with the Rocker Arm Box (I'm assuming that what that is) down. This will allow you to rotate the B axis on your trunnion to reach all 4 postions. You may run into rotational challenges when you start machining the exhaust exit ports being the trunnion will already be rotated at A-90. degrees.

HTH

Josh

Hum VW heads done a few of them over the years. I would mount them on a riser locating on the 2 piston bores and should be able to get to everything. You guys doing billet halves for your blocks with o-ring grooves? Are you making deep internal sumps or doing the old style bolt on sumps? What size valves are you guys running? How did you come up with your form for the inside exhaust and intake ports?

Get a plunger and take off the shaft. Put a hole through where the shaft was. Now the end of the hose will screw in. Push it down turn on the water hose and now you got a way to blow out the clog without getting a shower. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I rebuilt many engines when I was younger. I could have a motor out in less than 10 minutes. I had TYPE 1's and TYPE 2's. Still keep looking for a 21 windows rag top TYPE 2 with a walk thru. I had a 67 split TYPE 2 with 1835 CC dual Webber Carbs and 12 volt TYPE 1 Tranny with straight axle about 4" off the ground. That Bus would do 100 mph no problem. It was fun passing people on the highway in that thing and see their jaws drop as I did so. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Chris there is a lot I have no clue about, but what I know I am glad to have learned. wink.gifwink.gif

Here is how I do it.

I do it from both directions in one setup and there is virtually no mismatch. This is a Porsche head but VW heads are pretty similar. NC verification is a must!

I would try to develop a fixture that allows access to both sides of all ports.

You know now that I look at that Bob and think about it I got get you need to have access through the piston area so mounting it using the pistons is not doable. So scratch that dumb idea. Bob you are correct the heads are pretty close to the same. I would email Bob and see what he can do to help you out. bonk.gifbonk.gif see Chris something we are really not all that smart. wink.gifwink.gif