Sign in to follow this  
PaulR

MACHINING STL FILES

Hello

Does anyone have experience machining STL files?

I have a block that I scanned using polyworks and exported as a STL file but I have no experience machining this. Any feed back would be helpful.

Thanks,

Works great, you can open the STL file as a mesh and apply toolpaths just like surfaces (except it will grab the whole part so you will need to use boundaries if you want to do only portions) or use the CAD option in the toolpath to pick the STL file.

What version of Mastercam are you using?

With X3 and X4 u can the STL load as a mesh (under options at the open dialog box).

U have no surfaces or solids, so u can select only

the whole stl-mesh. Use boundaries for machining a specific area.

Dont know how big your stl is. A accurate scan with a tight stl saving tolerance will produce easily a huge STL.

IMO a stl is only a compromise (thats my experience). A big file easily show u the limts

in mastercam. wink.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I will try to machine a part. Do you know how to set up my WCS with a STL file? Looks like I can't select any lines. Does my part have to be in the correct orientation before importing?

yes, it should be in the correct orientation but you can move it using Xform, STL ... then rotate/ translate etc..

Dynamic planes may also work for you in X4 Mu3