Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC collet chuck suggestions

chris m

Good afternoon

I am looking at hanging a new hydraulic collet chuck on one of my existing machines for bar-fed operations and I'm interested in suggestions or feedback. Because of spindle bore limitations and spindle size [A2-6] I am thinking S26, but really have no interest in paying Hardinge for it. Full-bore, front actuated chucks, like a Lexair / Production Dynamics are just way too much money, so a regular hydraulic seems to be the way to go. My questions are, I guess:

#1) Who has a chuck that has been successful for you?

#2) 'standard' or dead-length? I have an Iemca VIP barfeed that was gifted to me, but don't know much about it yet, so I'm assuming that it can hold the stock in place when the collet draws back, but a dead-length seems like it would cause less stress on the barfeed; am I off base?

Thanks in advance

C

[ 05-11-2010, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I have an ATS on my Okuma Howa, it is the standard pullback type. It uses 16C collet, and works very well for what little turning work I have. For a high production job, the standard might not be the best choice because chips could get into the collet and would have to be cleaned from time to time.

I have work at companies that used the collet pads with standard 3 jaw chucks.

http://www.huronmachine.com/catalog/jaws_collet_pads.cfm

They work really well with bar feeders and pullers.

You can also get custom pads made and also order emergency pad you can machine in house.

Also found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ATS-Low-Profile-Tr...=item19ba46ab52

I didn't think of ATS, but I should've. We have a Powerhold S26 on one of our Okuma & Howa machines that has run day in, day out for years, but I need to get some competitive numbers going. I have a Production Dynamics full-bore S30 chuck on my twin-twin Okuma that has about a billion cycles on it with no issues, but they want like 3X the money for that chuck than the 'regular' ones and this application just doesn't justify it. Kick-a$$ chuck, though, if you're ever in the market for a front-actuated setup.

I'll look at Royal and ATS and see what they have to say.

Thanks guys

C

We had one of those "collet in a jaw chuck" setups a few years ago on a B212 Kitagawa and, I must say, I was not impressed. I'm sure it is decent for flexibility, but for a dedicated bar machine it doesn't seem like the way to go. To compound the problem, the chuck that is on the machine doesn't have much of a through-hole, so that pretty much puts the kibosh on that idea for my application.

• 2 months later...