Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Proposed Dynamic Mill Feed and Speed Database

Chris Rizzo

Considering dynamic mill is relatively new to mc, and some of us have had great usage of it, (absolute amazing mmr results) what about creating some sort of database/spreadsheet on what people are finding works well. Suggested fields:

All of this sorted by MATERIAL

Cutter:

[*]brand

diameter

l.o.c

# flutes

coating

how your holding it (milling chuck, set-screw, etc)

cutter life

Machine:

[*]Brand

taper size

hp

rigidity of setup

Dynamic Mill Settings:

[*]Feed

Speed

LOC/Depth Cuts

stepover

entry motion

toolpath radius

stock to leave

maybe arc filter settings

And an area for general notes and comments about their settings. I'd really like to have QUALITY DATA in it, people that have done at least some experimenting and testing and used it a bit. (Heck until you experiment, you don't know if your running at 50% of an operations capabilities!).

We could even figure out a cell or field that would calculate the material removal rate.

Any ideas on where/how to set the spreadsheet up? I'd say it would have to be easily sharable/enterable/viewable by forum members. I'd be willing to try and set it up. I know google docs has great spreadsheets that are shareable. Any other ideas? Having an excel sheet on the ftp could be a real hassle for people to enter data and look at.

Another idea would be to have a member post or email their information to a "keeper of the spreadsheet" who would enter it, and be the only one with write access.

If it was on Google, maybe we could have a link to it like the ftp has?

Here's the metric version:

25.4 x (your choice here) biggrin.gif

The project is coming along pretty well. I've got a google form created that people will fill out, very easy and straightforward and no monkeying with a spreadsheet, then it get's automatically dumped into a google spreadsheet. I can just post a link and anyone can get at the form, as far as seeing the resultant spreadsheet I'm working on that. There are a few bugs and formatting issues I'm sorting out too, but I think it will be a pretty nice little system.

Over the weekend I'll send a beta version to you guys that have showed interest and we can kick it around a bit.

Guys-

Fantastic idea. It's good to see forum members pooling together this type of useful information for the benefit of others.

Chris, I'm not sure if non-authors can add to your spreadsheet, but feed per tooth would be a useful field.

Also, although maybe being a bit premature, we should consider adding another tab for the upcoming 3d OptiRough toolpath which will be released in X5. You could call it the 3d version of Dynamic. CNC and Beta sites could add to this area.

We've been testing the heck out of it here at CNC on our HS Makino, and the results have been amazing. We've been benchmarking it against old-school surface-rough-pocket, and we're seeing cycle times drop by more than half.

Guys me and Chris have been talking and I added form capability to my web site. When we get this going I will add the same form to my web site and make it an limited open form. I will make all that want to help with able to, but will limit it so no one can mess it up. I will have a copy always saved daily to my server to keep it from being corrupted.

I will keep you posted when I get everything up to speed. If you have not seen the forum email Chris and has can get you set-up. He did a good job on it. cheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

upcoming 3d OptiRough toolpath which will be released in X5. You could call it the 3d version of Dynamic.

awesome news there....

Along with having more data....maybe even have whether dry or wet...air blast...if wet what brand of coolant & concentration. or may that's overkill.

Thanks for the support everyone. A few of you have seen the form, I'll try and send out the latest "beta" more today for some feedback. I'm trying to get google docs to play well with viewing and sharing for users. biggrin.gif

JMC,

My survey has coolant/mist/air/dry field. smile.gif

Adding a radial chip thinning calculator now. Regular chipload is irrelevant considering the shallow stopovers.

I'm a beta tester and have been knocking around opti quite a bit too. Totally, totally fantastic. The dynamic parameters seem to be directly translatable to opti, from what I have tried. If you guys at cnc want to email me what data fields what you feel are good to collect go right ahead.

**Folks who do try early versions of the form can just enter *test* in the fields to get through it and see the results**

quote:

Also, although maybe being a bit premature, we should consider adding another tab for the upcoming 3d OptiRough toolpath which will be released in X5. You could call it the 3d version of Dynamic

good, I'm sick of projecting 2d hss on 3d projects. They work but with no backlift feeds.

Oh, and on the subject of work. Please dont release any half done toolpaths in X5. fix the functions of the ones we already have

Thanks