Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Subprograms

Jon @ NOWHERE

Not quite sure how to ask about this without giving what we are doing as an example to make it clear so here goes.

When we make a program for our Makino A-55e for our OEM bike parts, we do it using incremental subprograms. The subprograms are stored in a folder that pertains to the part we are running, while the main program is separate, it controls changing the tools, spindle speeds and location then calls up the subprogram to run the part. Well today the programmer was creating a new size and was adjusting his subprograms. He decided to make a change in mastercam and repost that one subprogram, which caused a crash because he forgot to delete the reference return g-code.

Now I know we can probably set up our posts so that when we are creating subprograms it will not put things like the tool calls, lengths, ref return codes, etc. But the way it is now he has all his paths in one file and then has to go through and post them out individually and then go through and edit out all the crap not needed.

I guess what I am asking is there a simple way of handling subprograms and their creation in mastercam? Is he going about the right way he is doing it now or is there an easier way so that he can contain the main and the subprograms in a single mastercam file and then post it out correctly?

Sorry for the long read and I hope you guys can understand the point I am trying to convey.

Thanks

Jon

quote:

But the way it is now he has all his paths in one file and then has to go through and post them out individually and then go through and edit out all the crap not needed.

YIKES! Transform toolpath will make very nice main/sub programs with the MPMaster post. The only problem is it doesn't assign certain sub program numbers to certain operations, so if you mix stuff around, or add operations, you have to do some hand editing, or re-post the entire program again.

Yes you can create subprograms in mastercam. If you are copying a toolpath or rotating it, mirroring it etc, translate toolpath can do the subs in Inc or abs in the single mastercam file. You can also sub out depth cuts or multi passes also in a toolpath. Everything should be able to be done in one part file. You can change offsets also in your toolpaths or translated toolpaths so you get G55 G56 etc. If different parts are being done in one setup you can create different offsets with your wcs view manager. Research the help files in mc for the view manager or training may be in order. The whole view manager is kinda tricky till you get used to it. HTH

• 1 month later...