Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surfcam VS. Mastercam

Jerome

Someone may bitch about this in the future, so we left out the functionality? That's weak, John; you're better than that. Remember that credibility is key; one of the reasons that some members' valuable opinions are discounted in these types of discussions is that they nearly ALWAYS come in on CNC Software's side. I like Mastercam and will continue to use it, but some of their product and their decisions are jacked up; call it like it is.

C

quote:

but some of their product and their decisions are jacked up; call it like it is.

I don't dispute that Chris, there are things I don't like, I just don't feel they'll get fixed by bringing them here, the reseller and CNC are MUCH better alternatives.

I was speaking broadly and that was the point I was trying to make.

JParis /John

If my problem is to open my 400 meg file, I will get better hardware.

If my problem is that my Cam software don’t do the job I can replace that like I did with surfcam.

If my problem is that my support, reseller sounds more like a seller than a helper, I can replace him and get another on that office.

If my problem is a painful bug or lack of functionality I have QC. If I feel need to discuss that, or another issues with other users and CNC, I have this great forum that REALLY IS a place for that discussions.

Users have been out there on a rough market and seen what this software goes for. It’s important to bring feedback back here so we can together build a strong MC. We don’t do this for give some resellers a hard time.

If my problem is a smarta.. like JParis/John that crack down on those discussions and make them impossible.. Then I don’t know…

This is a Forum for licensed Mastercam users and if you should be here, please behave.

Please JParis John, read the forum guidelines and stick to them. If you have problem with those or some topics here it’s better for you to go back to your clients and do your job.

EOD

/frostfritt

As I have used both systems, I guess I qualify to make a comment. In my opinion, Mastercam is a far better option between the two, although, the last time I used Surfcam was about 5 years ago. I am sure they have improved their software much the same way that Mastercam has, so my comments may not be up to date.

The deal-breaker for me would be the necessity of having to use Iges files. There should not be any need for this in todays applications.

As mentioned earlier, I believe you would find a much larger talent pool for Mastercam users when the time comes to hire a new programmer.

As for some of the comments from John White.... I completely understand where he is coming from, however, as John Paris pointed out, airing your frustration on this forum is futile.

Carmen

I would like to add that all Cad/Cam software that I have seen or used have some sort of issues.

I am sure CNC software is aware of what is out there and how much these programs cost. I think JP is correct in saying that putting down Mastercam on this forum will not make anything better IMHO. Sure if you have a bug or problem go to it but if you are here to promote another software I think the line is being crossed.

I can say from experience that In-House Solutions tech support is light years ahead of the NX GTAC.

John