Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Advice for a Newbie

Alex Johnson

Hello, this is my first post to the forum. I'm an assistant professor in the Department of Technology at the University of North Dakota where I teach computer aided design and also an introductory manufacturing process class. We recently purchased a Tormach PCNC 1100 mill and duality lathe and I am starting to get my nose wet with MasterCAM X3.

Though I have a strong background in AutoCAD and have also used some other CAM packages such as Part Wizard (we do have a ShopBot) I have had very minimal exposure to Mastercam and that was several years ago. I'm looking for suggestions that might help me get on board with this program in a relatively short time frame (I have the summer basically) I would really like to start using the program to help me cut out some simple 2D parts on the mill. So far I've been using the mill with the aide of the Part Wizard program, but I think the limitations of that approach are going to limit what I can and want to do. Any suggestions on tutorials, training, would be appreciated. I'm considering purchasing an educational license for my home so that I can spend additional time on the program away from my office.

Regards,

Alex Johnson

Alex, Find out who your local Mastercam dealer is and see if they can send you what we call a "demo" disk (CD). In some cases it is free or a minimum charge. You can create geometry and tool paths. You can not save your files or post out g-code. It is a learning tool.

The student version costs a little more and only adds the ability to save your files. Some students like this at the college level. It is also a timed version which only lasts for 14 months. Your dealer can tell you more.

I'll give them a call and see what I can find out about the demo, that would be helpful to me right now.

Also, I've been doing a bit of searching on this forum and see that there are people who do a lot of their design in AutoCAD and than import it into MC. Since I am already comfortable with AutoCAD and I only want to do relatively simple 2D parts with no contours how practical of a solution would this be short term? I definitely want to learn the program, but I am also anxious to start cutting parts on our Tormach. If one was to go this route would you design solids, or simple 2D drawings?

Just draw simple wire frame to start out. Mastercam allows you to import an autocad dwg drawing and apply tool path to it. I'm not sure if the "demo" version will allow that or not, I never tried it.

To output g-code you are going to need a purchased version of the software. Your local industrial Mastercam dealer does not handle the "educational" version, but they can probably tell you who does. Most of the colleges use the "educational", not the "industrial" version of the software. Both of these versions can save files and postout g-code programs.

Actually I have 10 seats of Mastercam X3 in our department so I should be fine in that respect. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have it at home to practice on when I'm not at the university.

Do the AutoCAD drawings have to be wireframe or solid to import? With our Shopbot we do a lot of our stuff with simple 2D drawings and than import the dxf file to the Part Wizard program for setting up the tool paths.

I own a shopbot i do a lot of my programing with mastercam. On the shopbot site they have a post

so you dont have to run thru the g code conversions in the shopbot program the post had a few bugs in it i reworked the post

so it will run from mastercam than run in the shopbot program without the manual editing of the program works real good

i got another program for doing 3D(Aspire V2) but i do want to get mastercam art where i work the owner said he would get me

the upgrade for mastercam art just waiting for the x4 to be put out than i will have him get it. Im making a bedroom outfit with a hole

lot of 3d bears deer turkeys eagles on the bed and the dressers design the bed and dressers with mastercam and cut the 2d files with it

also working on a bar to go with my hot tube cheers.gif cant wait for x4 to get out if you would want what i change in the post i can give you all info to get you all fixed up to run it on mastercam

Thanks

Jim

Guest Tyler Yanta

Alex,

Nearly all of our X3 publications (25+ to choose from) include Demo CDs. I wouldn't really recommend the student version at this point.

AutoCAD drawings can be simple 2D drawings, wireframe or solids. One thing to be aware of is, when importing from AutoCAD you have the option to "Blank Paper Space entities" which is enabled by default and is fine if you draw in model space.

Apparently some people draw in paper space though (knowingly or not) and wonder why their files won't import. Either un-tick that option in Mastercam or draw in model space and you should have no issues! smile.gif

snip0122may0923.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...