Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Higbee

Kevin Goddard

• 5 years later...

This has just come up for me and was wondering if anyone came up with anything? I have a formula that I can't remember what all of it means and I'd like to share for feed back. I am currently waiting for an install of MCX and writing by hand anyway. This formula calculates finish (vanish) point in "Z".

Z.1+Z(1)+MCC

DELTA RPM / PITCH / SERVO LAG CONSTANT = MCC

(NOTE: Z(1) "little one" is relative to tool tip.

I'm a little foggy on this one)

TIA

Kevin,

I've done it, but it was like forever ago. The way I think I did it was to create a second threading op using a square face grooving or cutoff tool. The tool only ran the Z depth to blunt the first third of a revolution of thread which was in my case about .062. the key was to program the lead out with a .01 z component and a .1 X component this retracted the tool over where the actual thread is to begin. program it as threading so that you can easily cut the blunt in a number of passes so its clean.

when I was a kid I used to cut them on a mill to prep the blanks for LoneStar gage. NOBODY I've ever worked for turned higbees for fear of tearing up the machine. By the end of the day I had the formula wired. TGIF!

when I have my notes in front of me I'll share for those interested and to save for search later in case I lose the thing.

cheers!

I'm in the process of trying to mod a post to output threading correctly and in playing with it tonight i realized the Mastercam doesn't have a Z pull off component nor can you specify the pull off angle. I seem to remember programming that higbee in Gibbs actually. that would really have been along time ago.

suppose you could add it in manually. maybe it will be in X3?