Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Preferred method for routing holes

PeterDnz

X4 Router level 1.

I mill holes greater than 20mm diameter rather than drill them. Have been using helix for holes up to 35mm diameter but the finish at centre is not good for anything bigger than that - waste piece pops out and can damage workpiece and tool. As far as I can see this cannot be turned off so I resorted to contour using an arc lead in/out with overlap which left the centre piece alone but takes too long to program.

Is anyone using a better solution?

If you have a strategy like this that works but is taking too much time to tweak properly I would suggest exporting it to save it and then import it next time a similar feature is required.

I also have to wonder why you wouldn't just "pocket" out any area large enough to have a "waste piece"...

When you say "helix" I assume you are using the Helix bore toolpath... Why not add some "rough passes" to the helix bore toolpath ? This would allow you to get rid of the waste piece then step out progressively larger until the hole is properly sized...

And finally a 4th item to consider would be using the new 2-D High Speed toolpaths (I am guessing they would be available in router 1). I haven't used these much yet but from what I understand they would be really good for clearing and finishing your larger holes.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
22 hours ago, Daxman77 said:

I have router level one 2019.  There is no option for ramp contour.    Under contour type in cut parameters.  

You should upgrade to a level of Mastercam that will let you get full benefits from your machine. You can use the Linear Lead In Line, and add a 'ramp depth' to let the cutter ramp into the material. That should still work, even if you don't have access to the Ramp Cut Type.

The solution then, for a Ramp lead in, would be to use Depth Cuts, or 2 Operations. I would make the 1st Op leave. 04 of material on the floor, then come back with the 2nd Op, and Ramp Lead, cutting the last .04 of material. (I'd program -.005 deep, to be sure you cut through fully...)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

What I don’t understand is under pocketing operation there is ramp entry and helical entry options.   But no ramp for contour.   That seems odd to me.   Upgrading to the next router level will cost about $5000.   I don’t see my boss going for that.  Just for a ramping option

• 2 months later...

Hi Daxman77,

After you have selected the contour tool path type there is an option under the cut parameters tab on the right side that states contour type and in that drop down you should have 2D, 2D chamfer, RAMP, Re machining and oscillate. If i am wrong please correct me, as i am not sure how to check what i have, but believe i do have router 1

Untitled.png

• Like 1