Sign in to follow this  
PeterDnz

Preferred method for routing holes

X4 Router level 1.

I mill holes greater than 20mm diameter rather than drill them. Have been using helix for holes up to 35mm diameter but the finish at centre is not good for anything bigger than that - waste piece pops out and can damage workpiece and tool. As far as I can see this cannot be turned off so I resorted to contour using an arc lead in/out with overlap which left the centre piece alone but takes too long to program.

Is anyone using a better solution?

If you have a strategy like this that works but is taking too much time to tweak properly I would suggest exporting it to save it and then import it next time a similar feature is required.

I also have to wonder why you wouldn't just "pocket" out any area large enough to have a "waste piece"...

When you say "helix" I assume you are using the Helix bore toolpath... Why not add some "rough passes" to the helix bore toolpath ? This would allow you to get rid of the waste piece then step out progressively larger until the hole is properly sized...

And finally a 4th item to consider would be using the new 2-D High Speed toolpaths (I am guessing they would be available in router 1). I haven't used these much yet but from what I understand they would be really good for clearing and finishing your larger holes.

Hope this helps.

What Matt said.

I use pocket toolpath with a helical entery spiraling inside to outside, no slug to worry about also it gives you the option of doing a finish pass if needed.

Haven't tried the high speed toolpaths.

Thanks guys. Pocketing is one option. Time is a factor though with multiple holes (100's) up to 100mm dia and 3/8" my cutter of choice. I'll try exporting my strategy, thanks for the suggestion.

I use a contour ramp with pass at final depth for holes less than 2 bit diameters. For larger holes I use pocket w/helix entry and finish pass. Setting lead in/out correctly will allow you to use cutter comp with most controls.

X4 Router3

Solids

5Axis

Thanks Tim, never thought of contour ramp. That's pretty much the perfect solution for me.

I dont know what you use to hold your material down, but we use vacuum here and have great suction that will hold that little centre piece down after the full cut. if you use vacuum pumps, maybe solution is more cfu? just a thought

Have switched to Ramp on almost everything I do. Thanks for the ideas, it's good to know some Router guys are still on this forum.

I have router level one 2019.  There is no option for ramp contour.    Under contour type in cut parameters.  

22 hours ago, Daxman77 said:

I have router level one 2019.  There is no option for ramp contour.    Under contour type in cut parameters.  

You should upgrade to a level of Mastercam that will let you get full benefits from your machine. You can use the Linear Lead In Line, and add a 'ramp depth' to let the cutter ramp into the material. That should still work, even if you don't have access to the Ramp Cut Type.

The solution then, for a Ramp lead in, would be to use Depth Cuts, or 2 Operations. I would make the 1st Op leave. 04 of material on the floor, then come back with the 2nd Op, and Ramp Lead, cutting the last .04 of material. (I'd program -.005 deep, to be sure you cut through fully...)