Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Aluminum with a router?

I have machined aluminum on a router a handful of times only, I tried to use the same feeds and speeds as metal guys would suggest.

Search the main forum for aluminum machining or feeds and speeds, that's how I got my info.

BTW, I used a solid carbide down spiral 2 flute endmill, worked well enough...although I'm sure a machinist watching me or seeing the part could have listed plenty of things I did wrong or should have done differently ;)

HTH :)

I have a thermwood M67 5axis machine, has anyone used a router to cut aluminum I usually only cut foam and am not sure what feeds and speeds work well with the router, can anyone help me out?

Yes, it can be done on certain routers. Thermwood wouldn't be my first choice but I have done it years ago. You can get away with light cuts even in 5 axis but you typically don't have the torque that a mill has so the head will walk if cuts are to heavy. Very seldom can you use standard practice feeds and speeds that you would apply to a more rigid machine tool.

Thanks guys, I was thinking that light cuts would be in order, I have a small part that I am doing some R&D work with basically I will be milling out a pocket and facing a surface.

With that said I still don't have any idea what a light cut would be, should I run max rpm (24,000).375" end mill, .375" depth of cut, 20 ipm, .05" stepover, use some of the Boelube paste, and watch it real close???

Brian

should I run max rpm (24,000).375" end mill, .375" depth of cut, 20 ipm, .05" stepover, use some of the Boelube paste, and watch it real close???

You call that light !!!! for a Thermwood I would try 3/8" ALUMINUM Cutting Carbide EM , 12000-15000 RPM 0.025" to maybe 0.050" DOC and maybe you can go 30 to 50 IMP

I had a Quintax Medium duty 5 X 10 X 48" Z machine and I could cut aluminum all day at twice this speed... but the Thermwood is half (at best) the machine the Quintax is....

Start ridiculously slow and light and work up.... Play with some scrap Aluminum.... and have some extra End Mills !!!

The Boelube type mister is the hot setup for cutting aluminum with high spindle speeds... sprays a fine mist of Boelube type lube at the point of cut... used it for 9 years it is AWESOME !!!

For routers you use light fast cuts you will have to experiment to see what your machine can handle. But I usually never exceeded 15,000 RPM usually around 12 worked for my machine... again you will have to play around and see what sounds/looks good with yours.

what i use on a flimsy 5 axis router contouring path with 'good' results (i.e. no burr, clean bottom finish, and long long tool life)

30k rpm 4mm single flute

2m/min

0.8 depth

i also put a large slitting saw on a arbour on the other end of the spindle.

http://www.tradetools.co.nz/dbsweb/TTLWDICL.pgm?VRID=p0BTTvmbae4TwA6MGz6XWvsNhE175725&MODE=*DISPLAY&ITEM=5123310

edit - and no lube.

• 3 weeks later...

On MultiCam 3-axis Routers (Less quality then a Thermwood) I would use a Onsrud Single Flute 63-625 (3/8" Dia). 0.150" DOC, 300IPM, no mist or coolant, just hit it with good air pressure to clear the chips out of the cuts. I've run up to 400IPM at 0.200". This is from years of experience on routers cutting aluminum sheets. The 5-axis is obviously less rigid but I would assume 200IPM would be fine. The 63 series Onsrud cutters are the ticket.

Josh-