Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks 2011

MultiAxGod

That's great that X5 will open it, but we have X4 and I have pushed for X5 before I start this project, but deadlines to start have past and I don't have X5 and can't upgrade in the middle. Our reseller claims X5 is not released yet or they don't have it available or some such nonsense, so I need to open it with X4. Model is the defining factor and I prefer the native file over a translation and for comparison.

I am assuming (insert comment here) that since SW2011 wasn't released until recently, that it won't be supported in X4, but am hoping that's not the answer. Just wondered if I had missed a patch or fix on the Mastercam site? Wouldn't be the first time! :lol:

I am assuming (insert comment here) that since SW2011 wasn't released until recently, that it won't be supported in X4, but am hoping that's not the answer.

BINGO!!!

Only option, if you have SW2011 is to save out as a parasolid to open it into X4

Our reseller claims X5 is not released yet or they don't have it available or some such nonsense

It's been available for download from the Mastercam.com download page for a couple of weeks.

Dealers started mailing out the hard copies last week.

I picked mine up at our local X5 rollout last Thursday

I followed the link, but I am confused by the post made by Pete.

If you re-register it with REGSVR32, you should be good to go.

cd C:\Program Files\McamX5\Common\SWorksData (or whatever that path is)

regsvr32 SWDocumentMgr.DLL

How do you do this? I too, cannot open 2011 Solidworks files in X5

Carmen

OK, Pete's directions makes the "assumption" that you know how to do a few windows things.

So instead....

Go into the control panel and launch the Mastercam X utility, in the drop down, select X5, under the properties, select Components, then under the C drive, navigate to

Program Files >> mcamx5 >> common >> sworksdata, expand that folder, right click on the swdocumentmgr.dll, select unregister, then clikc Apply, then right click and select register and apply.

Green check and try it again

rereg_dll.png

If the Solidworks file is made up of surfaces you

will get that alarm because there is no solids data in the file.

I'm running x64 Solidworks here and have no trouble

opening SW 2011 files in X5, though I never do.

I use Save As (*. X_B) because I can control the exported files

orientation in Mastercam with a Solidworks Coordinate system.

also.. I do not have SW Direct installed... because I export

parasolids instead

Are you trying to use Mastercam Direct or just opening an .sldprt file?

I am just trying to open the .sldprt file. I had our engineers create a simple solid in Solidworks 2011 and save it as the native file. I then tried to open in Mastercam and got the error message I posted earlier. Parasolid format of the same file worked perfectly, however, that is not my objective.

I'm running the 32 bit version. I didn't have to register anything or change anything in the setup. I am able to open the sldprt file without a problem? I am not using the Solidworks translator, just directly opening the part file to work with. Of course, I have no part history, just the "brick", but it works fine so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here is an update for guys running 64 bit operating systems that cannot open Solidworks 2011 files.

In-house Solutions could not figure why our 64 bit computers would not open the files, however, our 32 bit computers could.

I followed all the instructions that were posted by both Pete ( CNC Software ) and also by John Paris about using the control panel to unregister and re-register the Solidworks manager. This approach did not work.

I worked closely with our IT guy and found that the only way we could get Mastercam to recognize Solidworks files was to type some commands as follows:

Open command prompt by clicking Start -> Run and type:

cmd[enter]

then change directory by typing:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\common\SWORKSDATA"

Then run this command:

Now Mastercam X5 is working properly. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

Carmen

This post has been promoted to an article

Okay, here is an update for guys running 64 bit operating systems that cannot open Solidworks 2011 files.

In-house Solutions could not figure why our 64 bit computers would not open the files, however, our 32 bit computers could.

I followed all the instructions that were posted by both Pete ( CNC Software ) and also by John Paris about using the control panel to unregister and re-register the Solidworks manager. This approach did not work.

I worked closely with our IT guy and found that the only way we could get Mastercam to recognize Solidworks files was to type some commands as follows:

Open command prompt by clicking Start -> Run and type:

cmd[enter]

then change directory by typing:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\common\SWORKSDATA"

Then run this command:

Now Mastercam X5 is working properly. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

Carmen

Jackpot! Looks like that works.

Although, it still closes any open instances of SW2011 when importing the solids history (not at all necessary for my work). And it does some kind of funky things if you've got PV360 open when importing the solids history as well