Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 Now or wait?

MultiAxGod

Ok, we can get the X5 download and upgrade our systems today.

I am starting a multi-part project, which I am late starting and can't afford problems that would cause more delays. The parts entail lots of 2d pocketing and 3-D work. No 4 or 5 axis. Lots of part geometry. I have a Dell Precision T3500, Xeon @ 2.4ghz with 4 Gig of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro FX 1800.

So my question is for the guys who have installed and are using X5 real world. Hopefully with some input from the guys that used the BETA. Do you feel that it is stable enough now? Do the posts have to be updated and is there a c-hook to do it that works clean? In other words, can I update and upgrade everything within about two hours to start running?

All advice is appreciated as I have to decide to do this today, or wait 2-3 weeks until this project is done. If you have a minute to respond, I would appreciate it Steve and James. Hopefully, this is the right forum for this question! B)

Ok, we can get the X5 download and upgrade our systems today.

I am starting a multi-part project, which I am late starting and can't afford problems that would cause more delays. The parts entail lots of 2d pocketing and 3-D work. No 4 or 5 axis. Lots of part geometry. I have a Dell Precision T3500, Xeon @ 2.4ghz with 4 Gig of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro FX 1800.

So my question is for the guys who have installed and are using X5 real world. Hopefully with some input from the guys that used the BETA. Do you feel that it is stable enough now? Do the posts have to be updated and is there a c-hook to do it that works clean? In other words, can I update and upgrade everything within about two hours to start running?

All advice is appreciated as I have to decide to do this today, or wait 2-3 weeks until this project is done. If you have a minute to respond, I would appreciate it Steve and James. Hopefully, this is the right forum for this question! B)

No reason no to upgrade today, been running very stable for us for sometime now.

Yes its a quick install, just make sure you let it go to all the default folders.

DO NOT try redirecting any paths.

PEACE :D

Thanks John and Hardmill. I had already read your post John, and some others. Everything always looks easy on the surface, but we know it doesn't always turn out that way. I don't want to get started and then, oops, there's a bug on the new Z level roughing or something that I have to work around to get code. Plus James and Steve both know my posts are heavily edited and I don't want to risk errors in my formulas or algorithms due to updating. Normally I don't worry about this, this time it's more of a time issue really. With the size of this project and the amount of time I will have to commit to it, I don't want to be fighting the software too! I still have to shop for Christmas you know! :D

Everyone else's input is appreciated still! Please add, as I will ponder this momentous decision for the next hour!

That did pretty much wrap it for me Steve. Thanks. I'll know who to come strangle if I don't get my shopping done in time! :p

I'll be back there for a day or two after Xmas. Maybe we can hook up! (sidebar, not to be a hater or anything, but have you looked at the AFC West lately? :p )

Us beta crew have been running this version of x5 for quite some time. imho one of the best releases with the most forethought, and migration is pretty darn solid...Everybody is right, it's pretty much install, migrate, and hit the ground running.

That said we all know problems can happen, if you've got a really hot part and don't have time nor patience right now to get to know x5, think about waiting until you've got some breathing room, just for the piece of mind. Also plan on 10 extra minutes to build a new config.

Give the what's new a good look-at, maybe their is a function that will make your current project go a heck of alot easier though! :)

Well, i ran into the same situation with you and my decision was "WAIT" until i got all the HOT stuff done.

I dont know if your mastercam license will be installed on the stand alone computer or the network. If you are going to install it on the network, then you have to move the "x5 shared" folder and re-link all the files of every machine that you have. And if you dont do it right. you know what is going to happen.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps

I'll be back there for a day or two after Xmas. Maybe we can hook up! (sidebar, not to be a hater or anything, but have you looked at the AFC West lately? :p )

Come on down while your here, we'll ignite the flame pit and charr some mammal flesh.

2 games ahead of us but you also have to play us again ;)

PEACE:D

• Like 1
Us beta crew have been running this version of x5 for quite some time. imho one of the best releases with the most forethought, and migration is pretty darn solid...Everybody is right, it's pretty much install, migrate, and hit the ground running.

That said we all know problems can happen, if you've got a really hot part and don't have time nor patience right now to get to know x5, think about waiting until you've got some breathing room, just for the piece of mind. Also plan on 10 extra minutes to build a new config.

Give the what's new a good look-at, maybe their is a function that will make your current project go a heck of alot easier though!

Chris, I have read alot of the documentation and don't quite "understand" where they are going with this "configuration" deal? It looks to me like that's just the migration of machine type, etc. We don't have much set up (i.e.: no tool libraries, material libraries, multiple user interfaces, etc.) the only thing I have gotten done here is the machine and control def's and posts for the basic formatting stuff. I haven't written that much code into them yet, alot of questions formatted and variable statements basically, that I am all that worried about it.

There are some functions that I would like to try on this project plus it will open the native Solidworks 2011 files, which is a big plus.

Don't forget that all your coolant settings will not work as they should and you will beed to keep going back and changing them. Also, it will keep using whatever default it feels like at any point.

? I have been using the new X style coolant layouts without a prob in X4. Won't this transfer correctly? And it doesn't maintain the defaults or last values entered?

Anything new CAN cause problems or delays. Load up X5 and play with it for a couple of hours. Generate and post some code to make sure all is well. If there are any concerns, jump into X4 and get your work done. A small investment in time will provide yor answer.

The biggest thing that causes problems is people dragging old configs into x5. THAT is what will cause a disaster...thus the few minutes required to make a new one native to x5.

I can't answer your questions about unusual post situations, but when updating you do get a detailed log that you might want to really study if you have any concerns.

Anything new CAN cause problems or delays. Load up X5 and play with it for a couple of hours. Generate and post some code to make sure all is well. If there are any concerns, jump into X4 and get your work done. A small investment in time will provide yor answer.

+1, Maybe try loading an existing file that was migrated and post it and compare to the original gcode. also when you install X5 keep X4 MU3 on your system in case you feel frustrated with X5.

hth

I'm sort of in the same boat.

We have 2 mill level 3 seats here.

One has been upgraded to X5, and the other (mine) has not.

Our other programmer had a few problems before he got running smoothly, so I've been hesitant to pull the trigger.

I have a one-off 5-axis part in my queue at the moment, so I think I'm going to wait until that project is finished before I upgrade. ;)

I will add this, other than a problem with the first download not working (which took over an hour) the install went smooth and the configuration is not such a big deal if you know what to look for. Including download time and all migrating, so far I only have about 4 hours into it to get it running the way I want. I'll compliment the fact that this is the first install that went this smoothly. Have been able to open files easily enough. Haven't generated code yet, but that won't be a problem either hopefully! :rolleyes: