Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Y-axis lathe comparrisons

Ahoy!

I am only new to the company, but have been asked my opinion on a new lathe for some production work. We are looking at either an Okuma LB4000EX-BMYC x 1500 or a Mazak QTN350MY-II x 1500U

We did price a Mori, but it was quite a bit more than these two so it was dropped off the list. The machine will be doing largish shafts etc, but not the roughing as this will be done on another machine prior to stress relieving.

Semi-finishing, finishing, keyways, tapped holes etc only.

I have my own preference, but would appreciate the opinion of anyone with experience with each machine.

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce, I don't have any experience with those machines, but my experience with Okuma over the years would make this a no-contest situation. The LB platform is a solid piece, the P-200 is a great control, and the overall Okuma experience has been so positive for us that I would never go another direction for a turning center; we have purchased [4] LB-3000EX in the last four months. Good luck with whatever you choose.

C

Bruce, I don't have any experience with those machines, but my experience with Okuma over the years would make this a no-contest situation. The LB platform is a solid piece, the P-200 is a great control, and the overall Okuma experience has been so positive for us that I would never go another direction for a turning center; we have purchased [4] LB-3000EX in the last four months. Good luck with whatever you choose.

C

100% agree!!!

i hate how mazak handle the .eia mode and mazatrol is a bit limited when you need to go out of the standard machining method

the Okuma's P-200 control is awesome and very flexible, but the programming and maintenance manuals really sucks....

The Okuma and Mazak do NOT have a direct drive motor in the turret.

If your doing keyways and tapping the Mori is the best lathe, milling turret on the market.

Please look at the turret overhang compared to the X axis guideway length on a Mori and an Okuma.

Mori's tooling is far more rigid than VDI.

Compare spindle bearing diameters and through spindle diameter.

Compare X axis box way dimensions.

The Mori has an Integrated bed not a bolt together bed.

Shoot me an email Bruce, I'll give you the best price!!

I'll be up your side of the woods very soon as we are putting some big machining centres in @ an old employer of yours :)

Dave

LOL now there is an Unbiased opinion.biggrin.gif

Lets see now

OKUMA LB4000 milling spindle power kw = 7.5/4.3(25 min/cont)

Mori NL milling spindle power kw = 5.5/5.5/3.7(3/5 min/cont)

Mazak Quick turn 350 milling spindle power kw = 7.5/1,5(2 min/cont)

So how is this Mori motor in the turret better?

Okuma do not use VDI, Mazak still do for some lathes

I fail to see how this motor in the turret is an advantage. At the end of the day the tool is conected to the motor via a drive dog style coupling. Whether the motor is in the turret, the back of the machine of the factory next door really makes no difference as this drive dog is the weak link.

• Like 1
I fail to see how this motor in the turret is an advantage.

Other turrets with their transmittion structure have many HEAT GENERATING parts such as gears, belts which effect the machines thermal growth.

With Mori's built in motor turret there is no transmition mechanism, as well the built in motor has a cooling jacket to control temperature increases. There is improved vibration by improving the transmission efficiency

Please look at the turret overhang compared to the X axis guideway length on a Mori and an Okuma.

Mori's tooling is far more rigid than VDI. Didn't say Okuma used VDI

Good to hear from you again Greg ;)

Okuma has stopped using VDI because they figured out that VDI sucks.

David B, I am sure that Bruce has a Mori salesman already, he is looking to hear from people who have experience with the machines, not some sh!t regurgitated from a catalog. Greg and David, larger typeface doesn't make you right.

C

• Like 1

About half our work goes through Y axis type lathes, and I can tell you when you are doing serious prolonged milling, heat build up is a major issue. Also, having the motor strait into the tool holder dramatically reduces running vibration.

To all you App Eng., your bosses would be proud to see you so fiercely defending your brands. :D

Mike

Other turrets with their transmittion structure have many HEAT GENERATING parts such as gears, belts which effect the machines thermal growth.

With Mori's built in motor turret there is no transmition mechanism, as well the built in motor has a cooling jacket to control temperature increases. There is improved vibration by improving the transmission efficiency

Mori's tooling is far more rigid than VDI. Didn't say Okuma used VDI

Good to hear from you again Greg ;)

Dave,

Your explaination of the Mori is spot on. 100% accurate. Mori is a way better built machine than the others. No offense to anyone but if you designed machines the differences would be clear..

I have experiance operating and programming Mori's, Nakamura's, Mazaks, Hass, Gildemeister and Okumas

Understood, but your current position makes you unlikely to present an unbiased view of the situation. Sounds like you're in good hands, Bruce; let us know what the results are.

C