Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

solid works 2011

lwells

Sounds like a weird case if you can't open it in X5 either but SW2011 is working... Could you try to create a file in SW2011 and upload and I'll try to open it in X4...?

What SP of SW are you using? If you email me, I can send you the SW2011 SP2 simple solid I made yesteday to test.

Here is a fix that worked for me that I posted back earlier in the year when I could not open a Solidworks file.

Open command prompt by clicking Start -> Run and type:

cmd[enter]

then change directory by typing:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\common\SWORKSDATA"

Then run this command:

regsvr32 SWDocumentMgr.DLL

Now Mastercam X5 is working properly. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

Carmen

Let's see if I can help shed some light on this without making it more confusing...

SWDocumentMgr.DLL is a DLL that SolidWorks provides us with to open their files. The version we install lives in Common\SWorksData and is registered by the Mastercam install.

This DLL gets updated as versions of SW are released. Yes - it's possible that registering the X5 version of that would enable X4 to start reading SW2011 files.

The confusion that seems to be the topic of this thread is most likely due to the fact that SolidWorks ALSO installs and registers SWDocumentMgr.DLL. There can only be one version of it registered at a time, so whichever one is registered most recently is the one that will be used by Mastercam. When you consider that several of you have multiple versions of Mastercam (and probably at least one version of SW), confusion can ensue. And to make it worse, if it's a 64-bit version of SolidWorks, we can't use the version of that DLL that SW installs, since we're a 32-bit EXE. And to make it worse, when it comes time to register the DLL on a 64-bit box, there are 2 versions of RegSvr32.EXE (in \Windows\System32 and \Windows\SysWOW64).

Our lives would all be a little easier if SW did not install/register the same DLL that they provide us with. I'll try to use my extensive persuasive powers (hah!) to see if they'll change this.

P.S.: JP - nice avatar...I stayed up late in a Sports Bar on Comm Ave last Saturday to see the B's win in double OT. Can't wait to see them end the series tonight too!

Let's see if I can help shed some light on this without making it more confusing...

SWDocumentMgr.DLL is a DLL that SolidWorks provides us with to open their files. The version we install lives in Common\SWorksData and is registered by the Mastercam install.

This DLL gets updated as versions of SW are released. Yes - it's possible that registering the X5 version of that would enable X4 to start reading SW2011 files.

The confusion that seems to be the topic of this thread is most likely due to the fact that SolidWorks ALSO installs and registers SWDocumentMgr.DLL. There can only be one version of it registered at a time, so whichever one is registered most recently is the one that will be used by Mastercam. When you consider that several of you have multiple versions of Mastercam (and probably at least one version of SW), confusion can ensue. And to make it worse, if it's a 64-bit version of SolidWorks, we can't use the version of that DLL that SW installs, since we're a 32-bit EXE. And to make it worse, when it comes time to register the DLL on a 64-bit box, there are 2 versions of RegSvr32.EXE (in \Windows\System32 and \Windows\SysWOW64).

Our lives would all be a little easier if SW did not install/register the same DLL that they provide us with. I'll try to use my extensive persuasive powers (hah!) to see if they'll change this.

P.S.: JP - nice avatar...I stayed up late in a Sports Bar on Comm Ave last Saturday to see the B's win in double OT. Can't wait to see them end the series tonight too!

Then what is the final solution? I have the same issues. WIN7 64-bit, SW2011SP1, X4MU3, X5

Then what is the final solution? I have the same issues. WIN7 64-bit, SW2011SP1, X4MU3, X5

If it un-registers, you'll have to 30 seconds and re-register it.

Like the newest one?

;)