Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C'planes and Rotation - Need Feedback!!

kathy

Hello All!

I am now on my third multi-axis part! (Fun, Fun Fun!) smile.gif

By this, I mean that I have multiple setups on the part using different X, Y, Z’ zeros at different locations and rotations. We are physically relocating the part in the vise and/or fixture as a unique setup, so I am not using the C-Axis rotation, nor a different E__ value (Fadal).

I’m trying to get a process down for doing this, so I don’t get screwed up! I have a 3D Axis for each setup on a different layer, so I know where I should be zeroed, and at what location. I have also saved the cplane for each location / rotation. I don’t have any problem with the X, Y, Z zero – my cplane origin axis clearly shows me where I am. However, the rotation is blind, and quite frankly driving my nuts! Plus, I am working away, and I notice I am back in the ‘T’ plane with out knowing it! Is there anything that will show me Mastercam’s current cplane rotational axis??

Also, how about adding ‘Last’ and ‘Number’ to the right-mouse click menu? And how do you save a named view? I will be working on, say, the bottom view of the part, painfully dynamically rotated to a semi iso view relative to current rotation, and I would like to save that view!

Thanks, Kathy

gcode,

A file for each setup, 'hard' absolut coordinate positioning - that is the way I've been doing it for the last 100 (well almost) years smile.gif The problem with that tried and true method is that you can't see all the machining of one setup in relation to the other setup. To be able to see a part machined in full - that is why I was so excited to start programming using one file and multiple work coordinate systems! I just wish it was a little easier to see where I was at! (again in relation to rotation)

Kathy

Kathy,

I've been doing that way for years too!

Solids have made it much easier.

I've been using solids to create a model of

my stock a each step of the manufacturing proccess.

I do a lot of complex aluminum castings.

I make a solid model of the raw casting,

make a stl file of it and use it in the Verify module.

Its takes some work, but having the solid

model to help visualize things really helps

When I go to the next operation, I rotate

and or translate the solid model as needed,

saving it as a new filename.

Its worked pretty well for me so far.

Set yer c-plane to where ya wanna werk,then

go CPlane,Next Menu,Save Named,you`ll get a

popup......name the view,set yer origin and

set yer offset for that view,then when ya

wanna werk on that one again got CPlane,Next

Menu,Get Named.....can right click in the pop

up there that will come up and set it as yer

current t&c plane too......named views are

the ONLY way to go for multi werk and

horizontals......just my opinion though

I agree with d0gFartz, Doing it gcode's way it not very efficient. Once you get the hanged of the named views you will never go back to gcode's way of doing it.

I assigned a icon to the Gview, Get named view function to make it easier to access.

The beauty of it is in verifing a part that has operations on all faces even if done in a vise. By doing it in all the same MC8 file under different operation groups you can verify the entire part at once.

Kathy

Dog and Cycletime are right. Their way is much more efficient once you get the hang of it. (which I haven't :confused smile.gif

Reguarding your Tplane changing issue:

Look at the Screen configure-Start/exit page.

There is a check box that says

"Update Cplane and Tplane when changing Gview"

If it is checked try unchecking it

Only prob yer gonna have with that is for

instance on a tombstone where yer runnin like

4 parts a side and lets say each part has its

own offsets....yer gonna have to goto yer

named views to select the part you wanna werk

ons plane so yer t-paths are comin off that

parts 0,or even on vertical machines where

yer runnin indexers and werkin down the sides

....it maybe top g view but there could be

several different offsets and zeros to werk

with....especially those verticals that are

usin a pneudex system with the 3 or more

tomstones laying down... lots of t&c planes

there when yer in for instance just say top view.Best bet is set up yer namedviews,name em out according to part er whutever werks best for you to understand and keep track of then just use yer hotkey ALT+N to call up yer

named views dialog box and then you can right

click in there and set yer current planes to

werk with and several other things too if ya

need to

[This message has been edited by d0gFartz (edited 02-03-2001).]

Okay all!

Thanks for all the feedback on the what, wheres, how & whys smile.gif

But!!! I would still like like some help on seeing my rotations! I use named cplanes - SETUP A, SETUP B and so on, and I can get a named view from the saved Cplane name - shows me the view relative to the X,Y plane of the Cplane. What I ant to be able to do is save a named Gview for example - SETUP A/ISO (Cplane SETUP A). Remember, SETUP A could be positioned at the bottom of the part looking up! I do have 3D axis for each setup.

I'm sure a lot of it is that I just need to get more aclimated to the Mastercam WCS environment. I'm looking for the 'Top/Side'Front' working planes relative to my named WCS as opposed to being relative to the Mastercam UCS!

Kathy

I have another stupid question!

How do I save a named view? I now how to save a cplane / tplane 'view', but there isn't a save option on the gview menu.

Or do I rotate the axis around to a simi-iso view and save a cplane??

Kathy

btw, the rotation is still really killing me. I'm getting it, but it's taking up so much time. I'll have a view set, the phone will ring or someone will stop by wanting somthing, and when I look back at the screen, well, you know...