Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-tasking Lathes

I think it would be tough to go wrong with either of those machines, Charlie; that being said I have always been more impressed with Methods than with Tyler Machine and I think that Nakamura-Tome makes some pretty fine machines. With no experience with either of those machines I would lean toward the Nak.

C

NTY3= Great for small complicated bar work, Ø40mm max. Lower turret comes from the left side so you want to do most of your lower turning on the left spindle, Otherwise Chips will destroy the lower turret wipers over and over again. This might be common with all lower turret style machines, i dont know. Pretty much unlimited capabilities and the most user friendly Canned cycles ever. The NT Nurse side of the Fanuc control is fantastic.

The Y axis interlocks are annoying when not in milling mode. 4"ish max stickout on drills and boring bars before you hit the way covers.

I would purchase another one for the right work.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm working a Turn-Key for a customer on an Nakamura Super NTY³ as we speak. :) It is a badass machine without question. No Optional Special Order Y axis on the three turrets, it IS Y-Axis on ALL 3 turrets ALWAYS! :D:p

Fanuc 31i Control. What are options on other machines, is STANDARD on the Nak. The list is long.

Back to time-studies... I have 10 to do before Friday on this very machine.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Not a hater, I used to work for them when they were inching down the MAPPS/CAPPS road. When I would sit in meetings during the early stages of development, I was disappointed at the reasoning behind the interface... "... so the customer will not know what control they are using...".

My understanding of CAPPS (from a company standpoint) was to go after Mazatrol. I used CAPPS far more than Mazatrol (my other guys used mazatrol more), the two are very different and both have there good and bad. CAPPS posts G code which you can edit (and it can be a PITA), Mazatrol does not post g code.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
What does Nakamura use?

FANUC... EXCLUSIVELY!

The capability/fuctions of the machine dictates what model control is on the machine . The important thing is they don't hide what it is. If it's an 18i , it says 18i, if it's a 31i, it says 31i. It doesn't say MSC-503 or some other such deception.

Programming on the control sucks anyway

When I had my own machines, I didn't bother with MC lathe since I had i-guide conversational programming on the newer fanucs. Even if there was some live c-axis stuff and DIN undercuts I found programming at the control to be a breeze, and I am a HUGE advocate for offline programming.

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
So FAPT on the control to program it?

Nope, FANUC's Manual Guide i is standard. While I have never been a fan of programming at the control, it has some really great features to it, and it can actually aid you in the development of "Post and Run" Post Processors for your CAM system in case you don;t want to use it.

I believe FAPT is still an option you can get. I've not seen a request for it in the better part of 15 years.

Bruce, I wasn't saying that on-machine programming wasn't functional, or even nice, but in our environment the machine only makes money when it makes chips. If you have a smaller place or are doing a lot of one-off parts I think it probably makes sense to program on the machine.

C