Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Form thread milling on 3-x machine

Berlec76

Hi

I`m having a problem cutting custom thread on my 3x mashine. We are talking about mold form threads, not functional threads. But it also has to be within +-0.02mm/wall (polished surfaces)

Usualy I create a thread milling cutter from thread profile, I do a rotate profile.

This usualy works fine if the thread pitch is small (2-3°) and the diameter of a thread is big enough. In some other cases (large pitch , big angle, small diameter exe: angle 30°, diameter 12mm, triple thread on 120°)I get overcut on the angled walls (top and botom). I solve these problems with test cuter in aluminium.

My guestion is: is there a way to define a thread cutter, so that it dosen`t overcut. Mathematicali, geometricali, practicaly....

other files can be send to e-mail if asked!

thanks B)

post-26618-0-49538500-1297586729_thumb.jpg

post-26618-0-28578800-1297586747_thumb.jpg

post-26618-0-49966600-1297586933_thumb.jpg

post-26618-0-96437400-1297587618_thumb.jpg

Are you using the Threadmill toolpath? Seems like that would be the way to go, just define your thread, use your form tool and leave the overcut value empty. May be easier than rotating the entire profile. I may be missing something here though...

Are you saying your gcode is incorrect or the results you get in Verify.?

Your real cutters have side relief so that they don't drag when traveling in a steep helix.

Since Verify cutters are simple revolved shapes with no side relief the results you get in verify

can be unsatisfactory.

I normally just define my threadmills as an endmill and don't worry about the poor verify result.

We use simple 3D chain contour, since the start and the end have to be on the right position (lead in and lead out).

The overcut in the verify is the same as measured on part on the measuring machine. The math is what I need to figure out.

If the diamter si X and the angle in y and the diamter of the millin cutter Z, how do I define the right profile for the cutter so that I don`t get overcut