Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC dropping partnership with Volumill?

neurosis

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The responsibility of a producer of any product is to keep customers happy. Making critical decisions without a good plan to minimize the effects on the customers is just bad business. Tell me you can't see that.... :rolleyes:

You're a$$uming CNC did not/does not have a plan.

He who waits to load X5 MU1 reports bugs that will disrupt our X6 development causing delays and more time to wait for a bug fix and the next .0 release

This theory is fine, for CNC because your bugs do not cost you money.

CNC will not compensate or discount your maintenance even if it cost your company thousand of dollars and

missed deadlines. (thats right, thousands of dollars)

Free Beta testing???......my company cant afford it.

Someone posted that Volumill will work with all Mastercam releases up to May 1, 2011.

That should be long enough to include the upcoming MU1.

Hopefully the advances in X6 Dave mentioned will be enough to make up for the loose of Volumill

and the only damage done will be to Volumill's bottom line and some people's blood presure.

This really sucks for Volumill. I suspect Mastercam customers are ( were) a very big piece of their pie.

I don't know the whole story and probably never will, but from what I've seen, this could have been handled

better.

Someone posted that Volumill will work with all Mastercam releases up to May 1, 2011.

That should be long enough to include the upcoming MU1.

Hopefully the advances in X6 Dave mentioned will be enough to make up for the loose of Volumill

and the only damage done will be to Volumill's bottom line and some people's blood presure.

This really sucks for Volumill. I suspect Mastercam customers are ( were) a very big piece of their pie.

I don't know the whole story and probably never will, but from what I've seen, this could have been handled

better.

This is pretty much the only reason that I am pissed off about this. If I had never heard of Volumill we wouldnt be too far behind with some of these new advancements from the sounds of it.

To me, this sounds like it is some kind of pissing match between CNC and Volumill. There is no clear reason for this. If the reason that Dave gave was genuine, then they would have dropped Cimco as well for the same reason. This is still a bit of an assumption on my part however. Volumill and CNC had a "partnership" meaning that CNC was providing Volumill with a seat of Mastercam for development purposes. Are they doing the same for Cimco? If they are I certainly hope that I dont find out about it.

The lack of regard for the customers affected by this is inexcusable. I never received a notice form CNC regarding this. Only from Celeritive. And from the sound of it, we are lucky that we got the extension that we did because the plan was to drop them on the spot. From what I have seen so far, my interpretation of the situation is that CNC didnt plan on providing any solution for those of us affected by this until AFTER reading this thread. And even then all we have so far is an implied solution with no guarantee which could be just to quiet this down until it is forgotten.

Volumill and CNC had a "partnership" meaning that CNC was providing Volumill with a seat of Mastercam for development purposes. Are they doing the same for Cimco? If they are I certainly hope that I dont find out about it.

Cimco is Mastercam reseller in Denmark, so they have all the seats they need :lol:

Great. So the explanation for this makes even less sense.I would like to hear a response to at least that question. What makes Volumill so different from Cimco?

Perhaps that they don't work together with Siemens NX. But they of course has their HSMWorks.

If the only thing holding Volumill back from continuing the development of the integrated Mastercam version is the lack of the license CNC supplied them with, couldn't they then just purchase a Mill level 1 with maintenance contract and split the cost out on their customer's. I think they will be willing to pay a little more just to keep Volumill.

That wouldn't be a big investment for them.

If the only thing holding Volumill back from continuing the development of the integrated Mastercam version is the lack of the license CNC supplied them with, couldn't they then just purchase a Mill level 1 with maintenance contract and split the cost out on their customer's. I think they will be willing to pay a little more just to keep Volumill.

That wouldn't be a big investment for them.

I would suspect that where given permission (and maybe source code access) from CNC software.

I would suspect that where given permission (and maybe source code access) from CNC software.

I thought that the chook was a open system so every one with a mastercam and programming skill could build an add-on.

I dont understand what the argument is here. Cimco's Adaptive Clearing strategies are found in HSMWorks, Camworks and some other systems. The same can be said for Volumill's strategy. Is it that CNC considers NX a direct competitor for Mastercam and does not feel threatened by HSMWorks (which is outstanding by the way) or Camworks?

Not for nothing but I am sure CNC is not going to be discussing their business model here.

It's typical of big business and big companies. They make decisions, in many cases, without much regard for their customers and they seldom reverse those decisions so complaining about it is a wasted effort. It's also typical to get the same old "it's our policy" bla-bla-bla BS when asking for some form of reasoning behind the decisions made. They simply don't feel they owe any explanation to the customer.

It's just like all the commercials in the world where the companies preach how they care so much about the customer - until the customer has an issue.

I dont understand what the argument is here. Cimco's Adaptive Clearing strategies are found in HSMWorks, Camworks and some other systems. The same can be said for Volumill's strategy. Is it that CNC considers NX a direct competitor for Mastercam and does not feel threatened by HSMWorks (which is outstanding by the way) or Camworks?

CAMworks are using Volumill http://www.volumill.com/products.htm

Adaptive Clearing is also used in OneCNC, maybe also other system but I'm not sure.

CAMworks are using Volumill http://www.volumill.com/products.htm

Adaptive Clearing is also used in OneCNC, maybe also other system but I'm not sure.

This is a direct quote right from their web site.

CAMWorks is fully equipped with a variety of High Speed Machining (HSM) strategies including Adaptive Clearing which eliminates full-width cuts, allowing for optimum cut depths and feedrates.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

This is pretty much the only reason that I am pissed off about this. If I had never heard of Volumill we wouldnt be too far behind with some of these new advancements from the sounds of it.

The lack of regard for the customers affected by this is inexcusable. I never received a notice form CNC regarding this. Only from Celeritive....

Ummmm, you're @$$uming that CNC has knowledge of who among their customers is using 3rd Party Developed Apps. Maybe they do, but I'm guessing they don't. I helped write a C-Hook a number of years back for a customer, CNC does not know who bought my C-Hook. Same thing.

All these @$$umptions around here... sheesh.

Ummmm, you're @$$uming that CNC has knowledge of who among their customers is using 3rd Party Developed Apps. Maybe they do, but I'm guessing they don't. I helped write a C-Hook a number of years back for a customer, CNC does not know who bought my C-Hook. Same thing.

While they may not know who and how many, they do know customers use it and that alone should have been enough reasoning to post a message to the customers via the forum or mailing or even the newsletter sent out.

All these @$$umptions around here... sheesh.

That is the point James, They dont give a $hit who is using the software and who is not. You have already made your opinion on the matter very clear. CNC is only responsible for Mastercam. Not Volumill. No matter what the cost to their customers.

In a situation like this, a little sensitivity for their customers would go a long way.

I understand that they are a business. They dont need our permission to make decisions. In the big scheme of things Volumill doesnt make a very large portion of Mastercams Customers. What if this were Mold Plus or Verisurf?

Is there any particular reason you keep doing this? What is your point?

Its the only way that he can slip A S S in and get by the sensor. :blink:

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That is the point James, They dont give a $hit who is using the software and who is not. You have already made your opinion on the matter very clear. CNC is only responsible for Mastercam. Not Volumill. No matter what the cost to their customers.

Its the only way that he can slip A S S in and get by the sensor. :blink:

I just get the feeling like you guys want CNC to be your mommys, manage third party developers etc.... Pretty ridiculous. Personally I would rather CNC worh on THEIR stuff, and get THEIR stuff right rather that spend time playing nanny to developers.