Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid from Surfaces

Müřlıń®

Is stiching surfaces broken?

I have been trying to stich simple surfaces.

First I tried all the impeller files from x3 - x5 and could not convert any of them.

Then I tried a simple hollow cylinder from a doughnut wire from scratch...a simple 4 sided surface set.

They will not stich. I must setup my X3/X2 puter and see if it is the same on those but I don't remember ever having problems with those 2 versions.

Am I missing something?

And yes I know I could build a solid from the start. I don't want to do that. I want to use the function Solids from Surfaces and I would like for it to work.

Is stiching surfaces broken?

I have been trying to stich simple surfaces.

First I tried all the impeller files from x3 - x5 and could not convert any of them.

Then I tried a simple hollow cylinder from a doughnut wire from scratch...a simple 4 sided surface set.

They will not stich. I must setup my X3/X2 puter and see if it is the same on those but I don't remember ever having problems with those 2 versions.

Am I missing something?

And yes I know I could build a solid from the start. I don't want to do that. I want to use the function Solids from Surfaces and I would like for it to work.

I have been having the same problem. Simple water tight surfaces constantly fail. But I can bring the same surfaces from X5 to V9 and they stitch to a solid perfectly. I am surprised that more are not complaining about this broken functionality. When I upgraded to X5 I did not think I would still need to rely on V9.

I have been having the same problem. Simple water tight surfaces constantly fail. But I can bring the same surfaces from X5 to V9 and they stitch to a solid perfectly. I am surprised that more are not complaining about this broken functionality. When I upgraded to X5 I did not think I would still need to rely on V9.

Yes, needless to say this is very disappointing to me.

Is this going to be another broken feature that never gets fixed?

I took an IGES of the impeller rough from the sample files and took it down to the shop where I have 9 installed.

9.1 SP2 would not convert it either.

However the flat boundaries that would not convert in X5 would stitch in 9. It was then the wrinkled vane surfs that wouldn't stitch this time.

I ran the impeller sample through X5 MU1beta

I turned off everything except the level labeled Surfaces

and ran the Solids from Surfaces command.

It looks like there are 2 seperate sets of surfaces in those levels

The results were 3 diffent solids

1 watertight solid of the vane model whith a straight hole for the ID

and 2 sheet solids

one looked like the vane model, and another incomplete set of the ID spline details

I ran the impeller sample through X5 MU1beta

I turned off everything except the level labeled Surfaces

and ran the Solids from Surfaces command.

It looks like there are 2 seperate sets of surfaces in those levels

The results were 3 diffent solids

1 watertight solid of the vane model whith a straight hole for the ID

and 2 sheet solids

one looked like the vane model, and another incomplete set of the ID spline details

G, When I get home tonight I will upload to the FTP so we can compare apples to apples.

Then maybe we can figure out what is going on.

This is the file I tried

C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\documentation\ExampleParts\IMPELLER.MCX-5

Ya that was the first impeller I found and is what started all this. It should have a splined center hole.

I didn't actually try to solidify the impeller surf on that one, I tried to convert the surfs on the "Stock" level to a solid model for verification.

I threw a couple flats on the holes and it failed to solidify.

I found another impeller off the older sample files(I downloaded all of them from X2 on up.)

I then tried to solidify the surfs on the "impeller" level.

No dice

What I got was an open sheed solid for most of it but the top and bottom flat surfs would not stitch. They stayed as a trimmed nurbs not even converting into sheet.

Then I deleted those flat surfs and made 2 of my own....

No dice. same same.

I converted the file to an IGES and took it to 9....nope....FAIL!@!!!

Thes the final thing and I want you ALL to please try this and report your finding it is so freaking simple.

Draw a 2" circle @ origin

Draw a 1" circle @ origin

Translate/copy z-3

Rule surf the outside circles

Rule surf the inside circles

Flat boundary the top and bottom

convert solids from surfs...

My copy of X5 fails to convert to closed body. the flat surfs will not convert....

level.jpg

stock.jpg

open.jpg

open2.jpg

open1.jpg

open3.jpg

I thought perhaps there was a problem with the sample file.

A very simple set of surfaces was constructed and the function tried again.

wire.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire4.jpg

I cannot seem to make a closed solid with simple surfaces. As you can see the flat surfaces would not even convert into a sheet solid, let alone stich together.

X5 is having a problem stiching the flat trimmed surfs.

It would be GREAT if we could figure out why and fix it...

I am not seeing this problem. I am using X5 on XP 32 bit service pack 2. I created a rectangle made a flat boundary surface turned it in to a sheet solid and then thickened it just fine. Did the same thing with a circle. Then I also lofted to flat circles together and it made a solid cylinder just fine.

My tolerance was set at the default .005 though? That may be the difference?

So we have like 3 people interested in this...wow that sux....ProE will stitch anything there is together..

Maybe there is a work around for building those surfaces...It seems to be round surfaces are the problem.

Perhaps breaking up the chains will work. I will keep u guys informed when I find a cure...It is not something that is going to kill me just hurts a little.

On the other hand Thicken, Trim to Surfaces and Boolean Remove better still work flawlessly or I will be....... annoyed.

• 1 month later...

I am writing from Japan at night in the Golden Week holidays.

I have seen the same bug and reported to Japanese Mastercam Distributor

on 14 Mar. (the day before Murlin posted at first.)

But it is not reported to CNC yet.

And then I was registered in this site on 23 April.

I found that I cannot solidify cylinder surfaces made from "primitive cylinder".

The modeling do not have a hole.

When I make fillets between side and top,bottom, I succeeded to solidify.

When I make a cylinder cut by plane passing through axis and added the plane

surface, I succeeded to solidify the half-size cylinder.

Murlin wrote:

>X5 is having a problem stitching the flat trimmed surfs.

I think there is a problem in not only flat surfs.

Perhaps failure is when top and bottom are flat surfaces and side surfaces

(not need single) are not fold.

I found the workaround for this.

As I expected one has to break the chaining circles into 2 or more peices. Also you must divide any surfs before stitching.

This bug is really a neusance when trying to quickly solidify surface models received from customers that want quotes.

Spending 2 hours on something you might not get paid for sux.

Man have I done a bunch of that.

This sort of thing has been reported - bug numbers #88722 & #90706 are two cases that actually got logged.

They did indeed have to do with simple closed boundaries - typically made of just one curve like a circle - becoming unstitchable. Corrections to these known issues were made here in late February and included in the 1st X5 MU1 Beta after that.

If it's still a problem with the newly released X5 MU1 I'd like to know.

GCode - can you test it with your part(s) with the latest and greatest? Or email me the part(s)?

GCode - can you test it with your part(s) with the latest and greatest? Or email me the part(s)?

Pete, the part I was testing is part of the sample installs

C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\documentation\ExampleParts\IMPELLER.MCX-5

I just tried the Solids from Surfaces command on the Surfaces Level in X5 MU1 and got 1 clean solid :)

Ya know if there was a **cough** list of bug fixes available, there might be less dirty laundry around these parts...lol

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”-John 8:32

I'm running X4 and sometimes find it helps to Delete Duplicut Entities, and Analise/Check Surfaces before trying to heal a solid.