Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating copies of entities around a chain

chashancock

I am trying to create points/lines around a closed chain composed of several lines and arcs of various sizes to be uses for 5-axis drilling. My current method is very tedious, I create 1 point and then the line from it at the angle I want, then xform translate point by point around the chain. Some places I get lucky and can use copy from/to with a number of copies, but mostly its one at a time. Is there a way to create copies of the point/line at a set intraval around the entire chain all in one shot? The angle of the line is the same all the way around, leaning out by 10deg.

Create point segment, you can select number of points or a specific distance along an enity.

Then you could drag or trnasfor between points (with copy).

I just tried this....It works ok for creating the point along one entity, but now I have to create the line to with it and then back to copying again......I was hoping for a solution that allows me to select the entire chain, not just one entity in the chain. Any thoughts?

p.s. I am on X5.

what if you create a spline from the chain and then use the spline to make points on

Ahh Haa! now we're moving in the right direction! Excellent! Converting to a spline gave me the ability to put x number of points around the entire "chain" in one shot. Love it! Now, how do I get the lines that need to go with the points around in one shot? Xform Translate wants to do a straight line between the from/to locations, it wont follow the spline. Thanks for your help. This hs been driving me nuts. I have several similar but different parts that require 100 - 150 of these points/lines each.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what your after can't be done (AFAIK). He is trying to translate along a chain. I tried to get it to work a while back when I had a part with some features that resembled a spiral staircase. (Translate along chain = enhancement request....)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but in my attached pic, he is trying to translate the angled lines and points at a set distance along the chain.(I did it manually in the pic)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what your after can't be done (AFAIK). He is trying to translate along a chain. I tried to get it to work a while back when I had a part with some features that resembled a spiral staircase. (Translate along chain = enhancement request....)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but in my attached pic, he is trying to translate the angled lines and points at a set distance along the chain.(I did it manually in the pic)

Yes, you understand what I am trying to do! Bummer, I was afraid it was not possible. It seems so obvious though, "translate along a chain". Sounds like it should have been around for years.

ajmer,

Think of a spiral staircase for example, draw the helix then draw the first step (just a simple line) at the bottom. Now try to Xform (any way you want) that first stair a few times up along the helix....there is no way I know of to make that happen.

Or train tracks (keeping it 2D), draw a rail (randomly shaped chain or spline), Xform offset it to make the other rail, then draw 1 of the wood beams that connect the rails. Now try to Xform (any way you want) that "wood beam" along the rails (I don't think its possible). It would work fine if the tracks were just a straight line or a circle but not if your tracks make a right turn then a left turn etc....

actually Xform dynamic can do that. i made a video but i am having issues uploading. once you have selected the geometry to move try clicking on the head of the arrow, that is dynamic and if you click on the spline it will move along the spline.

sorry for the choppy explanation.

You guys really need to try xform-template. Gcode showed it to me a few weeks

back and i use it just about daily. very cool tool

settings-customize-toolbars-xform-xform template (5th from the right)

PEACE :D

• Like 1

Holy crap! Does this happen to anyone else?

Create a simple helix: 1.00" radius, 1.00" pitch, 5.00" tall on origin.

Create point segment > select spline > click ^ arrow beside # (for number of points, not points by distance)

Click the arrow up a few times and Mastercam closes quicker than a jewelry store when Lindsay Lohan walks up!

What the crap? I tried 3 times in a row and it closed Mastercam instantaneously every time. No error, nothing, just gone.

If i type a number in, it works fine, but not if i use the arrow.

I did just try the x-form template that Hardmill suggested and it seems to work like a charm. However, this is a uniform spline, so I don't think it solves the original problem if the spline is not "uniform".