Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool compensation output

I have a few different styles of controls in the shop and I'm making new posts based off the x5 mpmaster post to make things more efficient for me.

When I make a toolpath I have my md's setup to add (or not) a number to the compensation of the tool based on the type of control its posting with. For fanuc's we add 50 to all tool offsets, for our okuma's I keep the offset the same as the tool number. Lately, we have been switching machines constantly based on availability and whichever customer screams the loudest :). So when I switch from an okuma control to a fanuc (or the other way) I have to go back into each toolpath and double-click the tool to set the correct offset number and regen. I want to get rid of this! How can I setup my post to automagically do this for me? I want to keep the tool number and comp number to remain the same in mastercam and have the post handle the output.

If your using the same MD, CD, & post, you need to have a prompt question in the post, or a misc int, or something to tell it that you want to make the change.

If your using the same MD, CD, & post, I think the easiest way to do this is just before you post, select all ops, right click on one of em, choose edit selected ops, renumber tools, then adjust the fields in the window that pops up to get what you want.

If your control defs are different, I don't see why it wouldnt work, (if the "add to tool" settings are different in each control def)

You can keep your programming in Mastercam generic ie - do not use the add to tool features and always use the base number for offset comp, then in the post you can modify the value according to what you want the machine to output so this leaves the numbering up to the post and not the programmer in MAstercam.

The problem with this is that what you see in Mastercam is NOT what will be output to the NC in some cases and many times users don't like this and want to see it in Mastercam as well.

The link samvatas posted has some good info as well.

I would prefer to have it the same in mastercam as it is in the posted code but after editing the last 300 toolpath program I have given up on that to save my sanity :)

Thanks all for the tips, guess I need to work that search function a little harder.