Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling plastics

Bob W.

My main concern is the stringers wrapping around the shank. I have several hundred holes to drill in one shot and I don't want to have to be there to keep cleaning off the drill. I'd like to run the parts unattended.

Bob, Acetal cuts great. Here is a trick we use: At the end of the cycle, run the drill backwards before putting it aways - it will sling the chips off.

Hi Bob,

If machining unattended is your main concern, I'd go with a really short peck depth. This should help keep the chips short, and keep them from wrapping up on your drill. Delrin (Acetal) is my all time favorite plastic to machine. It is very stable and doesn't deflect much. Make sure you use sharp drills, and brand doesn't matter as much. I would recommend staying on the heavier side for chip load. You need to take a good bite out of the material.

I'd recommend a Feed per Revolution of 2% of the diameter. So with a .250 Drill, .005 per revolution.

We are machining quite alot of Acetal and we always use carbide drill with internal coolant, high feed and peck with full retract each 50% of drill diameter... For deeper holes I/K is really a must, else you'll need to go pretty slowly to avoid melting or very small dept at a time...

then just let the coolant flow thru collet gaps, that blows out string of chips

If you are using the right cutting speeds for the drills, that will turn the coolant into an umbrella of water, which will never reach the cutting tip... Except you have really high coolant pressure through, 10-15000 rpm or even higher if it's possible will only work with a closed collet and I/K drills... At least my experience...