Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2-56 Holes 2x Deep in Titanium

65Mustang

I threadmill all threaded holes in Ti. Works great. Add a couple spring passes for smaller threads as the tool will deflect more. Program to nominal then comp out till threadgauge fits.

Thanks Randy,

I just got the thread mill in today (single thread) and you almost need a microscope

to see the tip! Have you ever done a 2-56? If so what were your parameters?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

10,000 RPM and 2 IPM, IIRC

Yeah, threadmill that all day long. I;ve done .210 deep threadmilling with the singlepoing method. I think I did 2 pases. Looking for the file now.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I bet you could form tap them.

DIsagree. There is NOT a better way to make this particular hole than threadmill. Emuge, OSG, etc... tried ALL of them. ROll Taps, cut taps, all... EPIC FAIL! Blind holes in ti are just freaking brutal.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Drill-bore-ream?

Drill, Spot, Threadill.

No need to ream a 2-56 hole. Just run the hole as close to the max minor diameter then threadmill.

• 1 year later...

I've got a bunch of M2 tapped holes in 6al 4v Titanium. I am testing out a .054 dia threadmill, .032 shank, 10K rpm. Looks like the rough pass stepover posts half of the value, unless they accidentally gave me decaf and I'm still asleep.

I'm on X5 MU1. Can anyone clue me in on how much stepover I need.? I'm afraid to go much more than .003.