Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Saw/Slot milling info?

Anyone out there slot milling with a Niagara cutter slot saw? I'm slotting 1" deep into copper and wanted recommendations on speeds/feeds/ how to not jack all of my arbors. We also have arbors that use the keyway on the blade and those that don't. the Ones with keyways are too long on the clamping side of the blade.. so I've been trying out some arbors that are shorter, but don't have a keyway... I'm wearing through arbors pretty quickly though, so I thought I'd investigate my machining methods.. our saw blades are Ti coated HSS, 4X1/16X1, and have 36 Teeth

copper is abrasive to tooling is the saw burning up? what is the alloy or is it pure? what is the chip load and surface feet per min? give your tooling rep a call should be able to help you with feeds and speeds. how tight are you getting the bolt on the arbor? is the saw spinning? i would tighten that bolt really tight and use a torque wrench so its the same every time. we have 3 arbors use them all the time and they are many years old and run true.

What we always do is make spacers to put on our arbors with keys. Put the spacer on first then the blade with the cap and screw. Our caps are counterbored so that the center doesn't make contact with the arbor before it grips the blade. HTH.

Hi-jack: Hey Nathan. How you doing? Long time no see. I took your MC class in 2006.

• 1 month later...

Anyone out there slot milling with a Niagara cutter slot saw? I'm slotting 1" deep into copper and wanted recommendations on speeds/feeds/ how to not jack all of my arbors. We also have arbors that use the keyway on the blade and those that don't. the Ones with keyways are too long on the clamping side of the blade.. so I've been trying out some arbors that are shorter, but don't have a keyway... I'm wearing through arbors pretty quickly though, so I thought I'd investigate my machining methods.. our saw blades are Ti coated HSS, 4X1/16X1, and have 36 Teeth

My link

slot1.zip