Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Big-plus spindle questions

Never had the problem of chips on the face/flange. Only ever the taper, but the only machine we have that is BBT is the Robo.

The big problem is swarf bouncing off the guards internally and dropping onto the tools/taper in the drum.

This is why we altered the machine so when it tool changes, the head comes down lower over the taper, pauses while blowing, and then changes.

Hey it adds around a second and a half to the toolchange time but no more swarf issues (famous last words - knock on wood :D )

I used big plus on a cat40 machines extensively over the years and it works great. It's not equivalent to cat 50 as some resellers will want you to believe, but does make a big difference (for larger and/or longer tools especially). We did install a special air blast to keep the contact faces clean (controlled by M code during toll changes). 3-lock from nikken is the best.

Word of caution when using din style coolant (mori). When using coolant thru tool and the next tool change brings in a tool without coolant thru holes then the build up pressure in coolant delivery lines might prevent a holder from full face contact. It'll alarm the machine most of the time, but I did find that if the difference is small there will be problems... ;)

As far as longevity, none of the machines I run and setup ever needed regrinding the spindles. My theory is keep it clean, clean, clean, check for cleanliness constantly... and you'll never have a problem. Use a clean, no-lint wipes and not some dirty rags soaked with a mix of grease and chips... Yes, I've seen many machinists wiping the table, machine sheet metal, way covers,tool holder and an inside of a spindle with the same rag...:angry:

I believe we talked about this subject in depth in the off topic several years ago.

hth

• 7 years later...

i know this has been answered already and this might be annoying but i just have to be clear on this for my specific machine. but will a sandvik corochuck 930 hd big plus ct 40 work in a 2012 haas vf-2 CT 40 spindle? and will any problems come from tool changes., it has a magazine style tool holding system.