Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Carbide Drills

Whats the best carbide drill you have used for the price? I am drilling about an inch deep in 316 stainless. Holes are around .390" diameter. Ive been just using TiN coated HSS but I'd like to find something faster and with longer life. Or do you suggest something besides carbide for my situation? Oh yeah, I need to hold a couple thousandths tolerance too.

We typically run Guhring for difficult applications, but they aren't inexpensive; our shop rate is high, so the expense of the drill is more than covered by the increase in performance, but if your management doesn't look at things the same way they will gag on the price tag going from a $5 drill to a $125 drill

PTD PHP41FV 25/64"

or

Dormer R458 25/64"

Both are assuming you don't have coolant thru.

I have used the 1/4" PHP41 down 3/4" in round SS starting on a knurl with only external coolant S3000, 10ipm, no peck.

edit: probably around $80.00

edit2: Don't worry about hole size. With carbide it'll either be right on size or broken.

edit3: If the surface is flat within a couple degrees don't spot it. Carbide doesn't need a spot. If you just absolutely need a spot (true position of .001" or something) then make sure the angle is greater than the drill point, ex. 140º.

If you don't want to spend the money for carbide, OSG has some EXCELLENT hss drills specifically for Stainless.

Check out their VHP-GDR drill line.

I have a recurring job that uses these and they still look brand spanking new.

I agree with Jeff on this one, we use them all the time in 303 and 316 and they work great. If you don't mind spending a little more money you can try a carbide drill from Specialty Tools Inc. I'm using one right now in 6061 Aluminum running 6000RPM 75IPM, I'm drilling 15MM diameter holes, 20 holes per pc so we didn't mind the $172.00 price tag. It cut the cycle time quite a bit so it's paying off for us. Here's a link to their website. http://www.specialtytoolsinc.com/index.html

If you don't want to spend the money for carbide, OSG has some EXCELLENT hss drills specifically for Stainless.

Check out their VHP-GDR drill line.

I have a recurring job that uses these and they still look brand spanking new.

x100000 they are more than excellent, we makes heat exchangers and we drill more than 3000 holes per 1/2 thk 316L plates , and one drill is enough to makes 3 of them