Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tap cycles

dannysdad

Tap cycles are a function of the drilling path.

Create a drill path, then in cut parameters, pick the drop down to choose what drill cycle you wish to use

Thanks John for your fast reply.

I understand how to drill and tap a hole with Mastercam. For instance a 3/8-16 hole; (drill cycle, pick spot dill, drill), (drill cycle, pick 5/16 drill, drill to depth), (drill cycle, pick 3/8-16 tap, chose tap from drop down, tap). This is how you tap a 3/8-16 hole 99% of the time. This procedure is followed with any tapped hole regardless of size or pitch. You spot, drill then tap. My question is; if the procedure is the same almost everytime a hole is tapped, doesn't Mastercam have these files created already in a folder that can be accessed so that the user does not have to create the procedure everytime. This would seem like a extremely simple shortcut that Mastercam would provide it's users. I understand that a user can build their own library of tap cycles but since everybody uses the same procedure, this would be provided somewhere. iIt is not that I am lazy, I just look for the smartest way to work.

Thanks.

They are not created anywhere else except in the file.

HOWEVER

What you can do, is create them once, export them to an operations library, then import them into any file which you'd like to use them.

After you've created them, in your operations manager, right click and export

You can then export the operations

ON a new file, right click and import and select them to import

Note also.. Any operation you create in mastercam can be saved out, both as an operation, as well as to your operation defaults. If you cut the same materials/types of cuts most all the time you can set operation defaults to always begin with a template you've designed. it's as simple as setting up a regular toolpath. As if that wasn't enough, you can do the same with stock sizes, materials, and machine settings. For more information, you should definitely read through the libraries section of your version's "Getting started guide" which is located in the documentation folder in your startup menu. (windows>start>all programs>mastercam X(version)>documentation)

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Note also.. Any operation you create in mastercam can be saved out, both as an operation, as well as to your operation defaults. If you cut the same materials/types of cuts most all the time you can set operation defaults to always begin with a template you've designed. it's as simple as setting up a regular toolpath. As if that wasn't enough, you can do the same with stock sizes, materials, and machine settings. For more information, you should definitely read through the libraries section of your version's "Getting started guide" which is located in the documentation folder in your startup menu. (windows>start>all programs>mastercam X(version)>documentation)

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

I agree with dannysdad, it would be great if you could just select a tap icon like the drill one , I find that I change the drill program to tap and then next time I want to drill a hole its defaulted to tap and visa versa.

Hopefully this is something Mastertcam can look at because really the less etting that have to be changed on each operation make our lives easier

I find that I change the drill program to tap and then next time I want to drill a hole its defaulted to tap and visa versa.

Hopefully this is something Mastertcam can look at because really the less etting that have to be changed on each operation make our lives easier

That's where operations libraries come into play. ;)

I really do wish everyone did everything the same way. Imagine how much easier life would be if everyone did everything my way :laughing:

We can't even get people to agree on default settings, never mind for all of the settings that would go into building operation libraries (especially (gasp) metric defaults).

Be careful what you ask for, you could end up doing everything Thad's way! :harhar:

We can't even get people to agree on default settings, never mind for all of the settings that would go into building operation libraries (especially (gasp) metric defaults).

You lost me on that one, Paul. Operations libraries let you do it "my way," without having to worry about how the other guy wants to do it. :thumbsup:

Be careful what you ask for, you could end up doing everything Thad's way! :harhar:

Then the world would be a much better place. :smoke:

I really do wish everyone did everything the same way. Imagine how much easier life would be if everyone did everything my way :laughing:

Yup, standardisation is a wonderful thing...........if only people would do it :D