Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spline smoothing options?

Buddy J

I have what appears to be a fairly simple profile which is made up of several splines.

When I run a tool path on it I get 190 positions(segments) which I know from past

parts will leave me with a segmented surface finish.

Is there a way to smooth this out?

I tried spline simplify, did spline curve to join, and the only other thing I can think of would be to create segment points and

pull a spit load of 3 point arcs to cut down on the sections?.

Any other options I'm not aware of??

Thanks

post-39930-0-33333100-1312322297_thumb.png

Yes. Run a contour tool path set to 3d with comp off using a ballnose em., no lead in or out. Make sure you have your arc filter turned on. Save the tool path created in back plot to to a new level. You should now have much smoother geo to work with. I don't have accsess to X5 , perhaps some one else could be of more assistance.

Without altering the geom, running a 2D contour with the arc filter/tolerance turned on, filter ratio set to 1:1, having it create arcs in X,Y.

Did that setting output blended arcs?

Setting the ratio to 2:1 should result in more arcs being output.

First I would try the filtering settings on the toolpath (as mentioned above). Change Arc Filter / Tolerance, filter ratio, total tolerance, etc...) Try a couple of different settings and view in verify or backplot.

If that doesn't work modify the geometry;

Its hard to tell from that picture, but between each spline you could create a fillet. The fillet would then be tangent to both splines that it touches and should eliminate any segments (facets). The size of the fillet would depend on the the size of the geometry you have and of course the tolerance you must keep.

Sorry for the delay

I didn't have the filter on! DOH!!

Went back just to see and went 1:1 and low and behold. something

like 30 arcs. Just what I needed...

of course I spent 3-4 hours last night pulling 3 point arcs on this and other splines on this stinking part

Many thanks guys B)