Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread milling

JAMES GABEL

I thread milled some parts and now they want me to put them back in the machine and make the threads deeper. I don't know if it will do it and match the threads. Does any one have any suggestions?

Depends on the thread and how close to the bottom you need to go, but you might try milling them a tad undersize and then chasing them.

Just change the start angle and make the thread match up where ever. If the pitch is .050, and you lower it .025 in Z, then your start angle is -180 deg.

This was the method I plan on trying (haven't done it yet). We have customers that hold us very close on thread depths (.010-.015" sometimes). I've thought about it several times and it seems to me that if your original program is clocked at 0° for the start of the thread all you would need to do is figure the percentage of pitch that needs to go deeper and figure that percentage of a circle and start your thread a little farther back on the clock. So if you need to go .010" deeper on a 1/4-20 you would just do this math:

.010/.050 = .2

.2 x 360 = 72

So you would program your thread to the new depth and start it at 72°. PLEASE double check this someone. I've never actually done it but it makes sense to me. Tell me if I'm wrong because I will be in this situation fairly soon.

Just change the start angle and make the thread match up where ever. If the pitch is .050, and you lower it .025 in Z, then your start angle is -180 deg.

This was the method I plan on trying (haven't done it yet). We have customers that hold us very close on thread depths (.010-.015" sometimes). I've thought about it several times and it seems to me that if your original program is clocked at 0° for the start of the thread all you would need to do is figure the percentage of pitch that needs to go deeper and figure that percentage of a circle and start your thread a little farther back on the clock. So if you need to go .010" deeper on a 1/4-20 you would just do this math:

.010/.050 = .2

.2 x 360 = 72

So you would program your thread to the new depth and start it at 72°. PLEASE double check this someone. I've never actually done it but it makes sense to me. Tell me if I'm wrong because I will be in this situation fairly soon.

.010/.050 = .2

.2 x 360 = 72

That is correct. On a right hand thread, going deeper would be negative on the angle, to you would go -72 deg. You can backplot it and create geometry and verify that it lines up.

This thread is way out of hand. locked

This problem is dead simple.

Copy the orginal op and lower the starting z -.3 or z-.35.

then copy it again and set the z back to zero for a spring pass..

This assumes your original fixturing will repeat when you reload the part.

It it doesn't, you've got a problem

This is easy... just drop the Z in increments divsible by .050. It doesn't suck.

James is right.

as long as your as your part is indicated the same as before, "Top of Thread" is the same as before (under linking parameters), and you drop your depth equal to one rev of pitch (1/20=.050"); it will blend perfect.

For your own peace of mind, copy the toolpath and drop the depth, then backplot. You'll see the deeper thread will blend right in to the original.

hth