Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A question for the Okuma Oracle..

We have a Cadetmate and a 4020, and three big horizontals. My spindle load meter on the Cadetmate for a new part I'm testing is running right around 80-85% for about 30% of runtime on an 8 min part. These machines are used for production, but i'd rather not send our maintenance costs through the roof. Can anybody tell me if this is safe to run without putting tons of extra wear on the machine?

In addition to that, When boring with a finish mill we almost always find a slight (.002 - .005") oblong in our holes. We've always had them regardless of machining method.. (we started off with inserted drills then finish mill, now we do helical milling on large bores).. Any ideas? The only thing I can think is maybe a worn ballscrew on the Y axis.

Thanks

80% to 85% spindle load for 2.5 minutes is well within reasonable use of the machine. If you wanted to run closer to 100% for 20-30 minutes continuous I would say lets take a closer look at the numbers. I am a big proponent of matching your cutting processes to the machine when possible. I always do the math on HP for the cut I'm planning and compare that to the machines torque curve. Sometimes just a little rpm change puts you in a much better part of the torque curve.

As for the out of round, I would start with a few quick indicator test to see if there is any gross alignment issue and from there move to a ball bar/laser test.

80-85% that's it? Quit babying that thing and do some hoggin!

Okumas are excellent machines and can easily go 100-110% all day long.

As for you .002" -.005" roundness issue, that's way too much, I get .0002-.0005" when I'm cutting a circle, and I still think that's too much.

Something isn't right with your X or Y.

Also check your spindle taper to make sure it's not FUBAR.

Thanks Guys,

I've thought several times there shouldn't be any obround at all, or at least minimal.. this seems to confirm my suspicion.

Jeff-it's a lot easier to do that when you're not trying to recommend a machining process that will leave the blame solely on you should anything go wrong, lol.

Again, thanks for being bada$$es.