Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazak vs. Nakamura

Ok, I would like to know everyone's opinion and experiences on a mazak hyperquadrex 200msy versus a Nakamura WY-250. Or experiences with either brand good or bad. I have read quite a few bad things about mazaks and good things about nakamuras in general on the forums. The owner wants to get the Mazak I would rather get the nakamura. Alot of the stuff that I have read on the forum was in the off topic and can't find to give to him to read.

Thanks,

Jeff

Both are awesome machines. Mazak is approximately 20X the size of Nakamura, so you're going to hear a lot more about them. You can go to the integrexmachinist.com forum and chit chat with people about parameters or programming questions.

The Nakamura may come with CAMPlete, which would be a HUGE selling point.

Either of these machines are going to have 10 million different M codes, G codes, and idiosyncrasies that will need to be learned. So whichever dealer is gonna give you constant applications support is who I'd be looking at.

I would go with the Nak...all things considered. CamPlete being a big selling point....then knowing that many other MTB's use Nak's to make their spindles & such. Don't look away from mori either...great machines & they come with Esprit which is infinitely more capable at programming these things than Mastercam can dream of being.

I have no experience with Nakamura so this is one sided from my point of view. We do have quite a few different brands of machines in here including Mori-Seiki, Okuma, Matsuura, Tsugami, Mikron, Parpas (and quite a few more) as well as Mazaks in here. I would not hesitate to recommend a Mazak. We are very happy with their performance, quality as well as their service.

Mazak is an OK lathe, it is not in the same league as far as build quality is concerned when compared to the Nakamura. Up in the PNW, Mazak support is horrible. Ordering parts from Mazak is time consuming, they usually don't have whatever you need in stock (regardless of the fact they say they have 97% of all parts in stock :rolleyes: ). Over the phone support from Mazak is useless.

That said the Mazak machine is a lot better then their support. But talk to other shop owners in the area that own either machines, support should be one of the most important selling points. How quick do the service guys show up, do they do a good job? What is ordering parts like etc

If you look at the size of the ways, ballscrews/ballscrew support bearings, spindles, turrets etc you will see everything Nakamura is just beefier. The mazatrol system on the Mazak is pretty cool for quick set up and short run parts.

Thanks for all the input guys. But I guess we are getting the Mazak. I guess he didn't even quote the Nakamura (I think big mistake). So what are you opinions of the mazatrol. I am not at all familiar with mazak. The salesman told the owner you could program the machine using mazatrol, instead of buying a cam solution for the machine.

Mazatrol really has a lot of positive sides: It's easy to learn, easy to program and edit... We make 80-90% of all our jobs on Mazatrol programming, especially turning machines!

The only bad side is that you can't make anything in 3D, and if you got the 3D option, don't use it if you have Mastercam or other CAM system! But in your case with a turning machine, it won't be relevant...

Get yourself a offline programming software "Camware" or "Mazacam" to program your programs on forehand if you have much programming to do...