Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Computer

Simoneau

Hey guys… I am up for a new computer. Can someone please take a look at the file I attached and help me configure the best from what options I have. From my company, I don’t have allot of options to pick from. I can pick from a Dell T3500, T5500, or a T7500. I have Attached the T5500. Any Help would be appreciated.

I am running X5MU1,

Right now my computer is:

Dell T5400

Intel Xeon E5405 2.00Ghz (4 cpu's)

3326MB Ram

Nvidia Quadro FX3700/512MB

Is Dell your only option? (yuck)

What is your budget?

Yes Dell is our only Choice. They give up a list of what we can choose.. I would say I have to keep it under $3500 if I had to guess. We tryed to push one through a while back that was $5k and that didnt go over very well.

My computer I have now is working fine. Its just that we are allowed to upgrade our computers every 3 years. I run 5axis,3 axis all with surfaces.

Daaaamm, wish I had that problem. LOL But then again I could think of lots of things to spend that money on.

If the one you use now is good I would think any of the ones you have listed will also do the job. Is upgrading the graphics on your current system an option?

Why do people think that the Xeons are faster than the i7 2600k?

Xeons are server cpu's that are designed to run in a dual cpu configuration, the i7 2600k is faster at stock speeds, and is made to be overclocked to at least 4.4ghz on air cooling, making it WAY faster than the Xeons.

Do yourself a favor, spend $300 on the 2600k, and not the $1600 on the Xeon.

If I had a choice to choose a better chip I would, but this is what Medtronic wants to go with so I don’t have a choice. They pick computers mainly for PRO-E and they don’t really care about Mastercam.

I could upgrade my Graphics card but if they are willing to buy me a new computer that is potentially better, I am going that route.

I was just told by my manager to keep it under 5k and see if it gets approved...

What is the most important thing for Mastercam? Should I go with something with less cores like this Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3565 3.20GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s or more cores like the one below.

This is what I was thinking.

Dual Six Core Intel® Xeon® Processor X5660, 2.8GHz,12M L3, 6.4GT/s, turbo

12GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1333MHz, ECC (6 DIMMS)

300GB, 3.0Gb/s, SAS, 3.5 inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive

2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI

If I had a choice to choose a better chip I would, but this is what Medtronic wants to go with so I don’t have a choice. They pick computers mainly for PRO-E and they don’t really care about Mastercam.

I could upgrade my Graphics card but if they are willing to buy me a new computer that is potentially better, I am going that route.

I was just told by my manager to keep it under 5k and see if it gets approved...

What is the most important thing for Mastercam? Should I go with something with less cores like this Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3565 3.20GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s or more cores like the one below.

This is what I was thinking.

FYI: Dual means 2 processors

and those aren't cheap biggrin.gif

about $1200 each on Newegg.com

Dual Proccessors will not make Mastercam run any faster but they will allow the machine to run better with multiple

applications open .. That machine is a very good computer.. the video card is one of the best you can get for Mastercam

You will be very happy with that machine if you can talk them into buying it :)

SO is that a good thing? They are bugging me to make a decision right now.

Like Gcode said, 2 cpu's won't make Mastercam run faster.

Given your budget, and looking at Dell's website, the Dual Six Core X5660 is a $2800 upgrade, and will be above your budget.

If you want my advice, get the i7 2600K, you won't regret it.

Jeff, we dont have an option for the i7.. I was told this morning that by budget was to keep it under $5k.

Gcode, That box you sent me, do you know what the Benchmark times are at on that one? I can get that same box as one of my options.

So I am guess processor speed is the most important?

Thanks

In the real world it depends on how much garbage IT loads into your machine..

Its got a faster proccessor than my machine and I run the Benchmark in 1:15... but there is a TON of IT garbage on this box

That machine right our of the box will probably run the benchmark file

somewhere betweem 55 seconds to 1:10

I just noticed that machine only has 6 gig of memory.. If you bump that up to 12, you'll still be under your $3500 budget :)

MAKE SURE you get Win7 x64!!!!

X6 will be out before the end of the year and it WILL supoport x64

Jeff, we dont have an option for the i7.. I was told this morning that by budget was to keep it under $5k.

Gcode, That box you sent me, do you know what the Benchmark times are at on that one? I can get that same box as one of my options.

Thanks

Look on Dell's site, at the Aurora R-3

i7 2600k (click the option to have them overclock it to 4.1ghz tongue.gif)

3GB GTX 590 (VERY powerful card, more powerful than all but the Quadro 6000)

SSD

etc..

you can get this for less than $3k

The case may look a little radical, but the performance will be outstanding.

Thanks

Hi Simoneau,

Give me a call and we can go thru some options. We can customize a system if needed. 512-906-6398

The T3500 is a Dual core 2.4 Ghz

The T7500 is a Quad Core 2.26 GHZ

The Dell SolidBox I linked to is a Quad Core 3.2 GHZ which is WAY faster than either the T3500 or the T7500

It will run circles around either of these machines

You can check the speeds of these proccessors here Use the search field..

The T3500 is a Dual core 2.4 Ghz

The T7500 is a Quad Core 2.26 GHZ

The Dell SolidBox I linked to is a Quad Core 3.2 GHZ which is WAY faster than either the T3500 or the T7500

It will run circles around either of these machines

You can check the speeds of these proccessors here Use the search field..

Well I can select Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3565 3.20GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s as a option on the list. The document file I attached shows all the options on there. I can mix and match anything from there.

By the time you've bumped the Dell up to match the SolidBox, you'll be up to $4K

Solidbox is Dell with Dell warranties... We've got 4 of them now... and will by more as the need arises

I understand that,, But since my company only wants us to use our approved vendor. There is nothing I can do about it.

I tryed to match the Solid Box one. My price for this is $2200.

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit

Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3565 3.20GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s

12GB, 1333MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (3 DIMMS)

300GB SATA, 10K RPM Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst Cache™