Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Getting a "#9" lathe chip

Hi Guys

I am new to the CNC lathe and I cannot get a good chip break going on EVER ;)

Iscar tooling / insert (s)

500sfm @ .005 ipr

H 13

420 S.S. tomorrow ! yippee!

Coolant? they have me running coolant blasting it on the Insert,So cool when the ball of chips takes the coolant hoses for a ride....

Is there a rule of thumb I don't know about?

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

If I'm having chip problems I will sometimes take my finishing cut on the area closest to the collet or chuck first and then come back to finish the part. This way you don't pinch the chips as you go further along in the Z minus direction. Also when I move back to the front of the part I'll sometimes rapid out 5 or 6 inches away from the face. This will allow the coolant to blast any chips off the tool before re-approaching the part.

Good luck.

To use the chipbreaker on the insert, your feed needs to be higher than the land on the edge of the insert.

We will use GP style chipbreakers because it is a sharp corner. (Works well on high-temp alloys)

A CNMG-432-MM (Sandvik) has a .011-.012 land so, feed would have to be .012 or higher to take full advantage of the chipbreaker geometry.

HTH...

Thank's Guys, all good stuff!

I hate to be a Cry baby..but...;)

Next, My Chuck (A BTC 8" 3 jaw Manual) Can't hang onto the stock?

I have a 5" dia round all the way into the jaw's sticking out 7" and a simple groove tool 250 sfm at 2.0 ipr 3" from the jaw's knocks it out of center !?

WHOO,Whoo,WHOO,Whooooooo....

I ran a 4 Jaw in 1984,85,86 and never had any of these problems cutting D2 @ CPM 10V !?! DRY !? (Live centering with a tailstock though)

Will a Quality 4 jaw make a difference?

Tailstock ! Put it in the plan and get used to it !!?

Thank you !

Tony

Hi Guys

I am new to the CNC lathe and I cannot get a good chip break going on EVER ;)

Iscar tooling / insert (s)

500sfm @ .005 ipr

H 13

420 S.S. tomorrow ! yippee!

Coolant? they have me running coolant blasting it on the Insert,So cool when the ball of chips takes the coolant hoses for a ride....

Is there a rule of thumb I don't know about?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

It really depends on your machine rigidity and toolholder selction, but 400SFM and .010"IPR is probably a better starting point for an average rough cut in H-13 (350SFM for 420SS). Depth of cut is crucial here also, as too shallow will cause stringers as you describe... Try at least .125" depth/side if your tooling is strong enough for that. I used to go up to about .250" per/side with some of the medium duty lathes I ran.

There are a lot of good speed/feed calculators out there to give you a head start here also. If you call the tooling rep they can get you one or give you some starting values also...

Good luck!

Dave

Thank's Guys, all good stuff!

I hate to be a Cry baby..but...;)

Next, My Chuck (A BTC 8" 3 jaw Manual) Can't hang onto the stock?

I have a 5" dia round all the way into the jaw's sticking out 7" and a simple groove tool 250 sfm at 2.0 ipr 3" from the jaw's knocks it out of center !?

WHOO,Whoo,WHOO,Whooooooo....

I ran a 4 Jaw in 1984,85,86 and never had any of these problems cutting D2 @ CPM 10V !?! DRY !? (Live centering with a tailstock though)

Will a Quality 4 jaw make a difference?

Tailstock ! Put it in the plan and get used to it !!?

Thank you !

Tony

Wait, you're using a manual chuck on a cnc lathe?

blink.gif

We cut H13 all day long here. I personally use 650sfm and a feed of .016ipr, .16 d.o.c., with a 1/32 tnr insert for a starting point when roughing, depending on your machine rigidity and tooling, of course. Chip control on this material has never been an issue.

"and a simple groove tool 250 sfm at 2.0 ipr" ..... 2.0 ipr? :blink: