Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

6.12" Ø X 90" Deep Hole

G Caputo

Anyone know of any shops that can do this? Material is a 4340 forging. Our purchaser/buyer cannot find someone that will touch this or has the capabilities to machine it. Found one place that can do it, but do not have the crane capabilities to lift it on to there machine. The rough stock is about 45,000 lbs and is roughly 90" x 105" x 16". I've got 3 parts to do with 2 holes in each part. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Anyone know of any shops that can do this? Material is a 4340 forging. Our purchaser/buyer cannot find someone that will touch this or has the capabilities to machine it. Found one place that can do it, but do not have the crane capabilities to lift it on to there machine. The rough stock is about 45,000 lbs and is roughly 90" x 105" x 16". I've got 3 parts to do with 2 holes in each part. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ask the person who quoted the job how he planned on getting the hole in the part! tongue.gif

Surely he must have had a plan blink.gif

If the hole can be drilled half way through from each side, Gcode should have some machines that can do it. It's only a 15xD hole as it is, so half way from each side is only 7.5xD.

Trucking thses parts to California would pretty much make this impossible. We barely have enough to cover costs when they thought they were going to be drilled locally. Time is a factor too. I think we have about 3 weeks to machine all 3 parts complete and that includes the deep hole part of it. I believe there is close to 100 hours of machine time per part also being done here. :(

I also don't think the halfway thru is the way we want to go as the plates all butt together and a 6.00" pin goes thru all 3 parts to bolt them together. I was kinda hoping to get them drilled first, and then set up to the drilled holes here when machining the parts to ensure proper alignment.

Thanks for the leads gentlemen. All info is passed on to the our buyer as I see it appear here. :)

Have you tried Bedford Machine? Bedford,IN. They do some large work.