Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Holes on Solids

Thoob

Hi Guys, I just got some flak from my boss for programming some holes undersize. I had a bunch of 13/16 holes to be drilled, I programmed them with an 11/16 by mistake and the operator did not check it. What I want to know is am I programming them wrong? I have a solid drawn from the customer, I convert it to surface (I don't have solid support) and select toolpath drill, entities. I select the entities and then pick my drill. Is there a way to select holes based on the geometry drawn and it selects the proper drill from my library automatically? Thus I can't program the wrong drill again?

Ok thanks. Now I'm only self taught in Mcam so there is a lot I'm not familiar with, eg creating a curve on the edge. What will that do? I'm talking about a part with about 40 holes.

if you create curves all sides and then select all the arcs that represent the bottom of your drill points and you're done! Make sure top of stock is equal to deepest hole. analyze entity to see diameter of drill requires.

select the entities and then pick my drill. Is there a way to select holes based on the geometry drawn and it selects the proper drill from my library automatically? Thus I can't program the wrong drill again?

FBM Drill is the solution,

Yes, you need to have a solid model to work with (surface models don't have features),

The FBM Drill utility can be set to use a specified tool list,

The holes in the solid model need to be drawn correctly,

(example, the designer/emagineer draws an on-size 0.5000 hole that actually needs a slip fit clearance, FBM sees the hole as a 0.5000)

As Keith stated, the STL file compare in verify will save some headaches.

B)