Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Selecting Surfaces

Georgi Baltov

Hi Guys,

we are running X2 MR2 SP1. We have MC Router Pro (Level 3). No solids, only up to surfaces. I was wondering if there's a way to select surfaces that could be associated with machining from top T/C Plane. I have a mold that was sent to me as solid so when I changed everything to surface I ended up having way too many surfaces that I don't really need. They make calculation for tool paths too heavy and drawing navigation too slow. I want to basically delete surfaces that I don't need but it's hard when all is the same colour and on the same level.

Any ideas?

but it's hard when all is the same colour and on the same level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tHAT`S WHY i USUALLY COLORED THE SURFACES THAT i WAS DRIVING ONE COLOR and surfaces for check another color and selected surfaces by color for my toolpath

Yes it takes sometime but it worth it

I don't know what your part looks like but I've always been able to make pretty quick work out of that on die details using any combination of window (maybe from multiple Gviews), invert selection, and just plain picking individual surfaces. Maybe even an Alt+E thrown in there somewhere to hide/unhide stuff as needed. Once they're selected, color code them or put them on different layers as others have suggested.

Thad

Like Thad said, invert selection is a good tool in these situations. If the toolpaths are slow to calculate in surfaces, they are propably even slower in solid machining..

I machine quite big 3d mold parts and eventhough we have solid licence, I still end up converting them to surfaces because of the calculation time.