Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DRILL INTO NIOBIUM

ken wong

Standard HSS 118 deg point works best. It WILL drill oversize. I suggest drilling .06" or so small, then bring to size with your .484. You won't have any luck reaming either. I prefer Acculube with a Micro-Drip system, but flood works if you mix it heavy. We have the best luck taking small pecks like .02" and dwelling instead of retracting. Retract every .5" or so to clear chips. Best of luck...

• 4 years later...

We tried thru  coolant drills and had no luck. we only have .008 material left at the bottom of the hole and a bump on the bottom side is no good. seems the carbide pushes a little to much. I was hoping cobalt would give me a longer life, we drill 30 holes with standard hss drill then it breaks. we have to drill 500 holes in each plate.

We haven't done much drilling but carbide worked for us. Try small pecks. Stuff doesn't want to chip it just kind of pushes. We were having all sorts of issues milling it then we switched coolants. We went with cimtech 610. It was developed for gummy stuff.

• 4 years later...
On 7/8/2016 at 12:13 PM, balnh said:

Good luck, I would go with razor sharp carbide drills. it you can use oil it helps a lot. Through spindle coolant would work wonders. We do a fair amount of milling in this crap with 1/16 Endmills. Do you know if it's annealed?

We need to plunge, then circle mill some 0.087 holes on a slope in C-103 using a 1/16" endmill. Should we use Carbide or HSS? So far Carbide 4FL are just loading up then fail. What kind of S&F would you recommend starting with?