Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Time

Georgi Baltov

Hi Guys,

we are using Mastercam X2 MR2 SP1, Router Pro (Level 3). Is there a way to estimate actual machine time from within the program. I have a big mold to do and I am thinking it'll take more than 8-9 hours. I don't want to have one of my guys stuck for too long and I don't want to leave the machine unattended. Any idea?

Cheers

Georgi,

The Backplot times will not take into account the acceleration/deceleration of your machine tool. It will also not calculate times for canned cycles.

For Roughing and Finishing of a Mold, you should be fairly close, depending on the accel/decel issue. In the past when I was strictly programming with Mastercam, I would typically add about 20% to that value and be fairly close. Still, that number should get you fairly close to reality.

Thank you very much you kind sir.

Are those accurate from your experience stand point? I just posted a 750K line code and 3 hours seem kind of little. Hmm, I guess I'm going to find out.

I haven't seen either of my machines be accurate to the backplot time over programs longer than about 20 minutes, but it's entirely possible I don't have something in Mcam set up quite right.

I'm with Keith... I quit using that time. i am more accurate looking at a part a guessing from experience. I tested this on a mold for the front end of a bus... it said a 40 hour part should take 15 hours!!! :lol::o needless to say I won't be in business long if i use it for quoting purposes!!

Would be a very nice feature if it were close though....

I'm with Keith... I quit using that time. i am more accurate looking at a part a guessing from experience. I tested this on a mold for the front end of a bus... it said a 40 hour part should take 15 hours!!! needless to say I won't be in business long if i use it for quoting purposes!!

Would be a very nice feature if it were close though....

This issue is a problem with MC in my opinion and has bugged me for a long time. The backplotting time is useless. You would be out of business real quick if you used it for quoting purposes. X+ is no better.

cycle times

As others have said experiance gives a better time than MC.

Vericut gives a very accurate cycle time.