Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating to X6

I use some of the add ons a lot, like sort circles and arc multi edit. Is there anyway to update that folder or do I have to wait for them to release an X6 version?

chooks cannot be updated, you'll have to wait for those to be updated

Well, I thought the faulty control def migration had something to do with the network, but after trying to transition X5 to X6 on my home laptop, I ran into the same issue. After I migrate and update the shared folders from a temp folder on the desktop as per John's instructions, I still must enter all of my control def settings. I noticed when I open the control def, the mcamx6 post is active, but it has a red "X" over the top, but the old mcamx5 post has a green check. I go ahead and click on the new mcamx6 post, save, and it turns to a green check, but all of the control def settings reset. I have had this issue with every version of Mcam since X2. Luckily, most of the settings are in my head or I can just look back in X5 and adjust from there, but there has to be a reason for this. Anyone experience this but me?

I am having problems to. I ran the update folder according to jparis but my post and machine def and control def do not get updated and do not show up in the x6 list. Every thing else looks ok. right click menu -background-icons etc is the same as x5. I just cannot get my post and machine def to update. Any thoughts? thanks

I also followed JP's instructions... It put my MD, CD & post files in the \keithg\my docs\my mcamx6 folders.... Mcam could not find them... I just copied and pasted into the \allusers\documents\shared mcamx6 folders and then had to set up my default machines and match the posts to the cd's and the cd's to the md's. But there was no resetting of settings for me, posted some older programs and ran the code thru a file compare with the original code... "files are identical, no differences found"

NBD, thanks again for the time to put that up JP!

I am having problems to. I ran the update folder according to jparis but my post and machine def and control def do not get updated and do not show up in the x6 list. Every thing else looks ok. right click menu -background-icons etc is the same as x5. I just cannot get my post and machine def to update. Any thoughts? thanks

The only 2 times you'll see this is "IF" you did create the folder structure correctly. If you just made a temp folder and dumped everything in there, it'll be in your X6 but you'll have to find it and move it. that's why I described creating all the folders to match the installation locations, it then places everything where it belongs.

The other reason is you choose the wrong folder to update.

As far as the config migration stuff you MUST restart Mastercam to get that to all take.

I just made a change to the original pdf, someone noted a discrepancy

It affected a screen cap on page 21. It showed the destination directory as the my mcacx5 folder, which is incorrect.

The destination directory would be the shared mcamx6 folders

Ok I got every thing to work but the new coolant icon in operation manager still says coolant off even if I turn it on. Any ideas on what would cause that.

Thanks

Yes, in all likelihood, you are using the new X style coolant. It doesn't work for that style.

you can either go into your machine def >> General parameters and set it to use V9 style coolant or turn it off in the Display options in the Op Manager.

Thanks John, got x6 installed with the help of your instructions, but the Check YES box got me again. I have the hardest time finding that sucker. Finally popped up when I closed the window. In the past it was behind the window and I can't remember where else it's been but I know it's never "BY CLICKING THE BUTTON MARKED "YES" BELOW

Thanks again

post-9782-0-02662500-1322596552_thumb.jpg

This .pdf will help you get your X6 up and running.

This handles most straight forward installations. If you're doing something different, there may be some other things you will want or need to do.

Thanks for the PDF John! Nice work! It will save me from doing that. :)

I have a PDF with for updating X through X4 files to X5 procedures.

The same will apply for going to X6 from X through X4 just replace the X5 paths with X6.

Machine_Post_Tool_Update_to_X5.pdf

Steve

I went to use X5 to program my part today, when I looked at my X5 config file everything was set to the x6 files. Would the migrate utility change my X5 config? If so why?

I was just told this by our reseller:

"Please note that the X6 links on the Mastercam website have be disabled.  A default configuration issue has arisen, so they decided to pull X6 until it is resolved.  If you have already downloaded them, please do not install install them and make sure you delete the files so they are not used in error later on.  When it is officially re-released the links will be re-enabled and a new media set will be mailed to your attention."

Sure enough, the links on their website are no longer links: http://mastercam.com/Support/Downloads/MastercamX6/Default.aspx

Glad I made an image of the comptuer before installing the new X6 software!

I was just told this by our reseller:

"Please note that the X6 links on the Mastercam website have be disabled.  A default configuration issue has arisen, so they decided to pull X6 until it is resolved.  If you have already downloaded them, please do not install install them and make sure you delete the files so they are not used in error later on.  When it is officially re-released the links will be re-enabled and a new media set will be mailed to your attention."

Sure enough, the links on their website are no longer links: http://mastercam.com/Support/Downloads/MastercamX6/Default.aspx

Glad I made an image of the comptuer before installing the new X6 software!

just great!

thank you for this info.

and thank you inhouse solutions for letting us know right away ! oh man!

This response was made to someone who had posted they wondered if their config issue was why the software was pulled

This is NOT the issue the software was pulled on.

I went to use X5 to program my part today, when I looked at my X5 config file everything was set to the x6 files. Would the migrate utility change my X5 config? If so why?

It is more likely the wrong destination was used when updating

:EDIT: I edited this post to add the quoted material, Someone has since come back and edited their posting after I made my response, my answers stand. Perhaps I should have added the quotes in the first place.

This is NOT the issue the software was pulled on.

It is more likely the wrong destination was used when updating

This is exactly the problem I mentioned in another thread. I know you mean well but PLEASE STOP. You don't know. CNC software didn't tell you, and if they did, you aren't supposed to pass it on. In the absence of actual info from the company producing the software, you put the only piece of info on this board about why it was pulled. Stop adding to a train of misinformation (however well intended).

• Like 1

Also do not know if this is a mistake again in Mastercam X6, X5 in Mastercam into a program and generate the code G with the post processor, now do the same program and it generated the same code with Mastercam postprocessor and shows me a different G code to as obtained in Mastercam X5, someone has been the same?