Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X6 Probe

Rocketmachinist

On the other side of that coin, do you want to pay for stuff you can't or won't use?

Absolutely not.... luckily I don't pay for maintenance (personally)... don't see the bill & don't want to either! (Does it have a discount for not using FBM?)

Think the whole "elite" thing from MW3 has me all touchy about add ons :lol:.... Just seems to be the wave everyone's riding/getting crushed by

If I have to pay for new features in the software that I'm already paying maintenance on why in the world should I continue paying maintenance? I should probably just take the chance of getting raped buying a new version if they ever fix the things I actually use that needed fixing in the first place. It looks like X5 works as good as any of this is ever going to work. We can get by with the current software and the "work arounds" we've figured out up to this point. Can't really recommend continuing maintenance to finance features I'll have to pay for again anyway.

• Like 2

If I have to pay for new features in the software that I'm already paying maintenance on why in the world should I continue paying maintenance?

:blink:

The following enhancements have been added with the release of Mastercam X6:

* Mastercam X6 suite-wide enhancements

o 64 Bit Support

o Stock model creation and tracking

o Xform fit for inserting parts into clamps and fixtures

o Toolpath Menu reorganization

o Tool improvements

o Parasolids: V23 File translator

* Mastercam X6 Milling enhancements

o New 2D HST Region Chaining for easier selection

o 2D HST Dynamic Toolpath improvements

o 2D Contour smoothing

o New OptiRest toolpath

o 3D HST Hybrid Finish Filler Passes

o OptiRough strategy now offers OptiCore and OptiArea

o Blade Expert (add-in)

o Port Expert (add-in)

* Mastercam X6 Turning enhancements

o Variable depth roughing for efficient turning with ceramics

o Canned Rough and Finish improvements

o Facing and Canned Groove Toolpaths

o Grooving Toolpath improvements

o Finish Tool inspection

o Rough Remaining Stock

If I have to pay for new features in the software that I'm already paying maintenance on why in the world should I continue paying maintenance?

Add-ins

there are dozens of add-ins for Mastercam from dozens of different vendors.

If they were all made available to the general user " at no cost" , a seat of Mastercam would cost 4 or 5 times

it's current price.

I'm perfectly happy with the current situation..If I need the add-on I buy it.. if I don't, it costs me nothing.

If they amortized the cost of all available add-ons into the price of a seat, you'd be paying

thousands for stuff you didn't want or use.

Add-ins

there are dozens of add-ins for Mastercam from dozens of different vendors.

If they were all made available to the general user " at no cost" , a seat of Mastercam would cost 4 or 5 times

it's current price.

I'm perfectly happy with the current situation..If I need the add-on I buy it.. if I don't, it costs me nothing.

If they amortized the cost of all available add-ons into the price of a seat, you'd be paying

thousands for stuff you didn't want or use.

The only bad thing that I can say about the current situation is that there is no guarantee to the users that if they purchase one of these add-ins that mastercam will continue to support them. IE the Volumill debacle.

I would love to see this addon in action (probe) but talking the big guy in to purchasing another add on/plug in for mastercam may be easier said than done after watching his investment in Volumill get flushed down the toilet.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
...the Volumill debacle....

Volumill is a 3rd Party Developer. The Renishaw stuff is actually added in by Mastercam not some 3rd Party Developer. Apple, meet Orange.

So then my maintenance was paying for the development of something I'm going to have to buy again?

no.. they don't charge you for maintenance for an add-on unless you actually buy it..

If you don't own it.. you don't pay maintenance on it.

Back in V9 days, and mold maker who needed Level 3 surfacing got Multiaxis ( 5 axis)

wheter he wanted it or not... and he got charged maintenance on it whether he used it or not.

Now multiaxis is an add-on... the people who don't need it don't spend a penny on it.

Productivity Plus is a Renishaw program. I guess that means Renishaw will be selling P+ as a Mastercam add in?

Yikes, just watch out for when Mastercam and Renishaw stop working together and they leave all of the paying customers out in the cold... BTW, I am a Volumill user so I know how it feels first hand.

Volumill is a 3rd Party Developer. The Renishaw stuff is actually added in by Mastercam not some 3rd Party Developer. Apple, meet Orange.

So you're telling me that Mastercam and Volumill didn't have any working agreement? There was no collaboration to make this functionality available within Mastercam? It is my understanding that Renishaw is a third party developer as well, and Mastercam is making their software functionality available within Mastercam. Sounds like a very similar working agreement to me.