Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 Axis Seal Groove

sharles

I'm familiar with the 5 axis swarf toolpath and use it a lot on our cast aluminum waterjet parts for headliners. But I'm always provided "edge surfaces" that are normal to the surface I'm cutting.

Now I need to figure out how to mill a 5 axis seal groove using a dovetail cutter, and I'm not being provided the "edge surfaces" normal to the seal groove. So what toolpath do I use? I've got the geometry (surfaces) for the seal groove. Can I create a curve down the center of that and then use the surfaces and the curve to generate some kind of a live 4/5 axis program? I'll need to rough it out with an endmill first, too.

The seal groove itself isn't very complicated. It just rings the perimeter of a rectangular billet. I tried to attach a picture but it was too large.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

if you making the groove all around a square part can you use curve toolpath and select surface all edges? i find that works better that using geo and using surfaces to drive it. i always use the edge whenever possible on a curve, seems to be much cleaner?

Thanks, Keith. I'm blind,

Ok, I think I got the file on the ftp site. Here's the address

ftp://[email protected]/Mastercam_forum/X4_Files/

I called it SCOTTS_SEAL_GROOVE.MCX

I just need to mill the seal groove around the perimeter first with an endmill and then finish it with a dovetail cutter and the tool has to stay normal to the surface.

Thanks for any help! :)

Scott

I thought I had this program licked, and then it went crazy on me and started jumping all over. I even had my designer make me a new bottom surface so that it would be good and clean. I put a new program in this folder on the ftp site ftp://[email protected]/Mastercam_forum/X4_Files/

I called the new file SCOTTS SEAL GROOVE_2.MCX

If anyone could figure out what I'm doing wrong, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I feel like a slow learner. :wallbash:

Thanks!

Scott

Could not make surface contour work on this geometry

Tried verything I could think of - new curves - new geometry etc

It did work by offsetting the drive surface - creating an edge curve

on this surface and then using a swarf toolpath with chaining set to sync by entity