Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Back Plot Cycle Times Vs Reality

Don K

On 9/22/2019 at 10:28 AM, SlaveCam said:

This seems to be bugged in 2019 (why am I not surprised?). It doesn't seem to take clearance into account, no matter what I put there the rapid feed time stays the same. Or is this by design?? (edit: apparently not, because rapid feed travel length seems to work properly with clearance)

Yeah, the 2019 and 2020 behavior is that during pecks, it is feeding full depth for each peck, which means shallow pecks on deep holes for example get the backplot time blown up.

I'm happy to say that this is fixed in 2021 currently.

On 12/3/2011 at 7:30 AM, Don K said:

I've been thinking this since the day I started this thread.

This is 2011 for pete's sake and we cant get a cad system that will allow you to plug in your accel/decel, and peck drilling times from your machine into any cad system to produce accurate cycle times and produce spot on quotes that will allow us all to compete more effectively?

Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

Think about this, if your tools feeding at 100ipm (or any feed for that matter) in a linear movement and we change directions with another linear movement at a 45 degree angle verses a 90 degree angle i would be curious to what deceleration and acceleration difference would be, Or going from a shallow 10 degree direction change verses a 180 degree direction change, now take all that math you came up with for every single direction change and apply it across the board to the entire toolpath, thats some intensive calculations. Not to mention the tons of other variables that go into this like machine smoothing settings, corner rounding settings, high speed machining settings, high speed look ahead, etc. 

Someone mentioned the hurco controller is very accurate for this but that is the same controller that interprets the code or runs that machine, mastercam makes the code but it doesn't run it, your controllers from a variety of controller manufacturers do do that. 

to get an accurate calculation i think there is a lot more that would go into this calculation than you might think, the software devs whom are much more intelligent than me might figure it out one day but I think sometimes people don't realize how much would be involved to get an accurate time. Some toolpaths might only have a few directional changes in them but take something like a dynamic toolpath along with the understanding that acceleration and deceleration changes based on what is needed to keep the tool on track then I am thinking a very powerful algorithm and computer would be needed to accomplish this with any kind of accuracy.  

• Like 1