Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Geometry Nesting

bmaster

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 10:31 AM, crosshoper said:

I 'm following this topic as well as find a solution. Some problem "invalid chain" when i select a folder. please letme know how can solve.

Seeing how it was over 6 years old I think you will be looking at another 6 years before someone responds. Get a hold of your Mastercam reseller and they should be able to assist.

• 2 weeks later...

WIth Mastercam for Solidworks [Mc4Sw], it requires you to create toolpaths for all the individual parts first. With all the toolpaths "Done" you open the nesting feature, set you parameters, and select your parts to nest.  Mastercam support was less than helpful when it came to this, and I had stumbled through based on Sigmanest's nesting.

Make sure you have a grasp on grain direction if it is important, and it works better when you have to nest several of the same part, rather than telling it you need several copies of one part. I used to hand nest all of our cabinet parts and find that I can sometimes nest more efficiently than it does [Just need more experience with it].

You may find that sometimes it will not nest correctly no matter what/give an error. Close Solidworks, reopen it, and try again. Once it works, you can use the back button to adjust whatever you need.  If things are really spaced out make sure to adjust toolpath spacing(overlap).

Let me know if any of that helps.

Lord Wukits

• 9 months later...

Anyone had more experience with this?

At a point where I have all my parts made up individually but i can't import from file when nesting, invalid chains.

I went back and deleted all geometry in my original file and can't import just the solid.

My only option right now is to merge all the solids into the file, nest them and then make the geometry for my toolpaths all individually.

this would suck because if i decided to change my nesting order none of the geometry would follow the solids

Would be better if I could merge and then create geometry and then nest, but mcam won't let you select two different geometries for 'part' nesting (only chains, only surf, only solids)

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, DanBAL said:

Hello!

Normally I NEST the programs in a wireframe state. is it possible to NEST on a solid state? 

Not with the capabilities in Mastercam's Nesting.

You can nest Toolpaths, where you can have a part programmed from two sides, and Mastercam will nest the "toolpaths", but the Nest itself is limited to nesting the 2D profile of the part that has been programmed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, DanBAL said:

Hello!

Normally I NEST the programs in a wireframe state. is it possible to NEST on a solid state? 

If you assign 3D chains to your 3D Model inside your programs Mastercam will import your Solids into the operation automatically.