Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath Mirror - Cant do NCI?

Leehound

I want to be able to Mirror a surfacing toolpath in X5. Why wont it allow me to mirror the NCI? I did this all the time in V9. This use to work great for surface finish parallel, when tool direction was not important.

Now the option to mirror the NCI is greyed out. Whats the deal?

Leehund,

Here is a good read on your subject. And you'll probably see why (for the most part) JP "moved on".

My link

BTW your response was at best a C- on the civility scale.

That particular thread started about an issue with transform mirror ended up being the issue that ive been recently talking about with optirough. According to the response that I got from CNC's QC department, the issue was not with the transform operation but rather with optirough. I am still confused by this because they never followed up on he problem.

I was able to mirror all of the geometry and create an optirough operation that did not gouge the part yet even after explaining that to the QC department, they told me that the issue was with optirough rather than transform. IT WAS GOUGING PARTS!

Anyway, as it stands I will probably never know for sure what the real problem was. They had turned all of their focus to X6 already and did not seem interested in getting to the bottom of this issue one bit even though IT WAS GOUGING PARTS.

you can mirror an NCi

Save nci with g-code producing command

From RTFM

You can save the text-based NCI file. For advanced applications, you might choose to create just the NCI file instead of the NC file.

(activate this option)

in toolpathes select import NCI toolpath

Mirror it using transform command

Best luck

Never did it so be careful

My origianal post was question about why I can't use NCI as the source in mirror. I thought maybe that there was a setting in the configuration that would allow me to use NCI. Now I realize that option was just removed for reasons that make no sense. I guess they figure that we the users are too stupid to understand the implications of mirroring just the NCI.

Now what really aggrevates me is that I mirrored a toolpath and of course it automatically switches the source from NCI to Geometry. Then I get an error message saying that Mirror from the Geometry Source has failed and it will switch to NCI as the source. Of course it then works. BUT WHY DON'T I GET TO CHOOSE?

Mirror toolpath has always been a very frustrating thing for me and it has never worked in any form from v6 to the x5 mu1. BTW, there is a c-hook called "MirrorToolpath" that exists and when I tried a few versions back (I think) it has different options for mirroring toolpaths but still didn't function correctly for me. You might want to give that a shot. Keep in mind I haven't tried any mirror toolpaths in quite some time and I don't know what state that c-hook is in. I just do it all the long way. Takes more time but it gives me peace of mind.