Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

This is very true, and probably for ANY Cad/Cam forum. You have to give these guys credit for allowing our frustration to be heard publicly. I hope that they are listening and thinking about it finally.

I am not sure why this turned in to a Gibbs is good or bad conversation. There are plenty of lower end systems out there than have much better functionality in some areas and less in others.

The bugs on the other hand.

I think that not so long ago eMastercam also had heavy censorship... I don't know why we pretend it was always like this... The fact is that many users got tired of suffering in silence and started to become vocal about the issues... and in the Internet era, NO ONE can censor and hold people frustrations long enough, in any matter or subject... In-House realize this and I think they are also tired of telling customers to workaround long standing problems while CNC does not step-in to say a thing... 2+2=4

In the day GibbsCAM start to create such level of frustration on their users, you bet their forum won't be able to refrain people to create a thread like this...

JM2C

Reading this thread makes it sound like the software is riddled with bugs, at least in the eyes of a few. That certainly isn't the case.

No, it IS the case. It IS rittled with buggs. I can make you a list of buggs that have not been addressed since the day that I started using it.

I can crash this system at will mick. I can prove it to you.

No, it IS the case. It IS rittled with buggs. I can make you a list of buggs that have not been addressed since the day that I started using it.

I can crash this system at will mick. I can prove it to you.

Of course, I knew you would respond :)

I can crash my car at will too :rolleyes:

Really? A car analogy? ;)

When you bought your car, did it work or did you have to find a work around to get your heater to work? Or your windshield wipers? Did you have to find a work around to start your car?

How would you like it if your brand new car leaked oil right off of the show room floor? Would you keep it?

And BTW, i can get it to crash while doing things that are supposed to work. Not like im driving it intentionally in to a guard rail.

• Like 2

Regardless, and of course imho, to say the software is riddled with bugs is being dramatic. Some of the early "Windows" versions were riddled with bugs. I'm talking the Version 5 series (ugh, that is going back). They were plain ugly.

I ran Unigraphics and Mastercam in parallel in the late nineties, through to the early 2000's. For around 5 years. Unigraphics had, roughly, about the same level of bugs I have encountered with Mastercam of late. And I would never have called Unigraphics "riddled with bugs".

If I owned or operated software riddled with bugs, I wouldn't be using it.

Of course, as always, that is just my humble opinion. And no, I'm not a fanboi. There have been times when certain aspects of Mastercam frustrate me, and some of those are present (or more so, not present) now.

Mastercam is stable while the file is small -simple geometry ,couple of toolpathes

when you have some different 30-100 solids of parts tool and fixtures

huge ammount of wireframe geo in different layers and 4-10 machine groups with 300

toolpathes the things look very different

that`s for a starter

the heavier the files more chances for bugs ,crashes and dif problems

Welcome to the world of bugs. workarounds .incremental buckups. and frustration .

Mastercam is stable while the file is small -simple geometry ,couple of toolpathes

This is very true, the bigger the project, the worse the bugs become. But I have experienced problems with smaller, simply projects as well.

My favorite one lately is my HSM toolpaths randomly changing their Z heights for no particular reason. Thats a fun one.

I calculate it at, say for example Z-1.00. Looks good. Do a bit more work, post it out and find out it recalculated itself to z-0.20 for some reason. No big deal, it cuts higher, but when the next tool comes in not expecting all that extra material.... well, can you say BANG ?

Beeing a guy who support 3 5-axis machines and 12 3 and 4-axis VMC

programming a coupleof things simultaneosly and solving problems

for couple of parts at the same time I don`t have time to deal with bugs

When I get it I overpass it and that`s all

No time to sent QC zip to go

And not every time I can recreate it

BTW CNC software promised to use Microsoft multidocument support long ago instead of opening

couple of instances that can get to crash or bug .

Funny thing they still imagine I work with one part

when I usially have opened at least 5 !

BTW CNC software promised to use Microsoft multidocument support long ago instead of opening

couple of instances that can get to crash or bug .

Funny thing they still imagine I work with one part

when I usially have opened at least 5 !

Be very careful working on multiple open part files in X6. I have had files get over written (I saved my current file and it some how over-wrote the other open file). I havent been able to reliably reproduce this but it has happened several times now.

Loving my backups right now!

I often work on multiple files at a time also. If you notice, when you open the second session of mastercam it warns that it is not supported. That is why I have not brought it up.

Be very careful working on multiple open part files in X6. I have had files get over written (I saved my current file and it some how over-wrote the other open file). I havent been able to reliably reproduce this but it has happened several times now.

Loving my backups right now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah ,I know .

I am paranoid backupist

As for multiple files opened I have no other choice .

Teh Bear listening Sweet Desolation Boulevard

If you have issues with needing H# = T# sometimes, but on other machines you want H# = T# + 30 (or another increment value), you can setup a prompt question in the Post to prompt you for a 'Value to add to T#'. That way you get total control over the setting of the values.

Dave, send me a PM and I can show you how to do this in your post...

I just noticed that putting an ampersand (&) before a character in the name of a Level underlines that character when the level is active. Is this a bug or is it useful for something? It reminds me of what happens in programming in Visual Basic when you want a character to become a hotkey with Alt for a labeled object on the interface.

(&File &Edit &View &Analyze &Create &Solids &XForm... = File Edit View Analyze Create Solids XForm...)