Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

All that being said, because there are so many users of the product, you're just going to have more issues arise. More magnifying glasses = more problems found.

I completely understand what you are saying and agree with you to a point. We have 5 Cam systems here and one Cad only, being Solidworks. I have not experienced even a fraction of the issues with any of the other systems that we have in our shop. I have worked here for 17 years and this is the only system that we have used that we have continually seen the same bugs over and over after three or more FULL releases of the software.

These are not being found due to the fact that there are more people using the software. They are remaining bugs after YEARS of releases. This is flat out neglect.

This doesnt even begin to scratch the surface of the issue of patches, or should I say, lack of them.

Back in X2 I wanted to quit my job because of this software. ;) It took me about a year to figure out all of the work arounds and learn to use to software in a way that caused me the least amount of issues. NO other software that we use can I, or should I say, do I have to, say that about.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
...not many care how you derail threads with your hard@n for Jon Bangsque3rs.

Not derailing anything, and I certainyl don't have a thing for Joan. I like to bring her up from time to time because I know she's trolling and can't say :censored: in here. SHe knows if she does, she'll be found out and yet another of her aliases and IP addresses will be banned.

I hear you Rick about the issues and don't for even a second think I'm trying to minimize them, but when I see people say this is a bug and that is a bug and won't take a couple minutes to send a Z2G file so somethign can get looked at... I just wonder if people really want a fix at that point. Time, time, time... ya I know. It takes time. But in the time that was spent writing an eloquent rant on eMastercam abotu a bug, the file could have been sent twice. Just sayin' :whistle:

• Like 1
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
... we have continually seen the same bugs over and over after three or more FULL releases of the software. ... This is flat out neglect.

Agreed.

I will say that CNC is not alone on this. I've got a handful of CATIA bugs that have been around since R14 and I'm using R20 now IIRC. That 6 releases plus some Service Packs on each release. Not making light of anything, just stating my experience with another package that's all.

On the other side of the coin;

[rant] I wish CNC fixed bugs/issues like CAMplete does. When I expose an issue, I usually have somethign that day, or the next. Obviously there's fewer CAMplete users, CAMplete does far less than Mastercam, but, their level of service is World Class and nobody, and I mean NOBODY in the software business is as responsive as those guys [/rant]

JM2C

It usually takes me quite a bit of time to prepare a ziptogo. The owner of our company makes me clean everything out of the file that is not related to the issue. I have all of the tooling, tombstones, dash numbers of parts, operations no matter how many that might be, etc stored in the part file. It can take me as long as an hour some times to clean the file up. Then if the part is defense related, I have to modify the geometry (per the owner) so that the part does not match the original.

Then I have to write an email or note containing the circumstances that caused the issue along with an explanation of how to reproduce it.

THEN! after a series of emails back and forth with QC or whoever I might be talking to, they are either able to reproduce it or not and it gets logged.

Ive spent as much as three hours on a single bug (the one that was related to optirough gouging) between QC and my local reseller.

Believe me, when I find bugs I want to think that it is because I am doing something wrong.

edit:

I cant say much about Catia. We have had it for three years now and I havent spent much time on it. I would love to learn it but from what I have seen, it reminds me of when Cimatron or Mastercam both made their change from dos to windows. Catia seems as if it is still going through its growing pains in the conversion to the PC. I am saying that out of ignorance so keep that in mind, but that is the way that it appears.

James

I do send some in, mainly the really efin bad ones.

But I also have production meetings conference calls, reboot restart, crash...

quote a job, job planning program ...restart , delete trouble path that crashes

,make new one that all of a sudden works with identical settings....all in one day

EVERYDAY!....LOL.....want my job??????

I rant and POST mostly 80% while crunching a 20 minute waterline rest path or pencil path ... ;)

I am at home on my much slower p.c. crunchin for over an hour while I am typing right now, its at 86%

But i am also playing guitar while my daughter play her piano, our little duet :)

At work i go to another p.c. by desktop remote and model and crunch on that one, while crunching on mine

Hows that for productivity?....LOL

I

That said, if you guys are too busy, maybe you can get a hold of a reseller to take a look at it, and then they can do the job of documenting and sending in the issue. I try to coordinate with our customers when they don't need their computer, so I can goto assist and dig into the problem while they work on something out. And then I'll detail the problem, and send it in to QC.

I was wondering this. You guys with the main problems/frustrations - do you get your dealer's involved first or even at all? I know they can't fix code but could surely help in one way or another?

James

I do send some in, mainly the really efin bad ones.

But I also have production meetings conference calls, reboot restart, crash...

quote a job, job planning program ...restart , delete trouble path that crashes

,make new one that all of a sudden works with identical settings....all in one day

EVERYDAY!....LOL.....want my job??????

I rant and POST mostly 80% while crunching a 20 minute waterline rest path or pencil path ... ;)

Rick,

No I don't want your job!

As an observation, are you doing this all on the same PC with 1/2 a dozen applications running while mastercam is crunching...I know windowze is a lot more stable nowadays but there's nothing wrong with treating mastercam as a workstation in my books.

None of our cam systems are hooked to the internet, so no windows update and no email etc. We've been like this for 5 years and I can count the times mastercam has locked on one hand for 2x pc's.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
I cant say much about Catia. We have had it for three years now and I havent spent much time on it. I would love to learn it but from what I have seen, it reminds me of when Cimatron or Mastercam both made their change from dos to windows. Catia seems as if it is still going through its growing pains in the conversion to the PC. I am saying that out of ignorance so keep that in mind, but that is the way that it appears.

[hijack]

I didn't use V4, but I've heard that a lot of V5's issues were/are growing pains as well. I've only got about 5 years of moderate CATIA Manufacruring use so I figger I'm an advanced novice. :D One thing I've noticed ffrom the Frenchy's (Dassault), they don;t want to hear :censored: from users unless they are Boeing. They have a CATIA Owners Exchange that fields a lot of tech stuff, but the Engineering Side gets the most attention from the developers.

[/hijack]

I try to limit it to 3,

but usually, just mc and Emastercam open.

Rick, just read back through this post.

If you're having to restart 2 let alone 4 times a day, I really would be tempted to pull out the interweb cable and ensure nothing is running (or trying to run such as emails and auto updates etc) and try that for a couple of days.

Long shot but it may help your headaches???

i spent a 74Hour work week, a bit ago, just running MC, to expedite two jobs

No nothing on in back ground, not even an excel doc open when using mc.

Made no difference and it shouldn't,......the restarting MC issue is WATERLINE/REST occasion ally pencil, related and

CNC is on it. I sent them a fairly busy file that it happened a few times on.

MC is a ram resource pig and even had a ramsaver cleaner built in to prove it.

crunching an 8 minute waterline rest path, copied or newly created,......... invalid machining zone

and it stays dirty, or 0.3k file ,no path created..........save ....restart(not reboot) MC and it works no problem.

sometime 5 or six times a day....some time once a day

Ever wonder why a 500 mg file in MC is only 30 meg in surfcam or a few others?

I have and i think that old dos Kernel is to blame.....

I wish CNC fixed bugs/issues like CAMplete does. When I expose an issue, I usually have somethign that day, or the next. Obviously there's fewer CAMplete users, CAMplete does far less than Mastercam, but, their level of service is World Class and nobody, and I mean NOBODY in the software business is as responsive as those guys

+10000

Paul and the rest of the Camplete team is doing a fantastic job.

Guys before posting can you please check and make sure you are running the most current version of the software being V15.0.4.3. I just spent almost an hour (on a Sunday too) trying to help someone who told me he was running the most current version and upon re-creating his toolpath's on my system I didn't get any of the issues he was having. I am guessing that is partly my fault for not checking the zip2go log file. Upon checking the zip2go log file I noticed he was running the previous version.

So please go to Help, About and make sure you are running V15.0.4.3. I'm not guaranteeing it will fix or solve all of your issues but it may fix some of them. Once you are sure you are running the most recent version then everyone can chirp in and help each other out.