Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Contour Tool path

edmBosto

Had to switch from a 3D Contour path to a Surface finish project Tpath because the ball mill I used didn't follow the surface at bottom of cut. I couldn't figure out why but I had to go with what works so I switched to the surface projected path.

The geometry I chained for the 3D Contour was projected onto a compound angle. You could also see the variation in the Z depth by dynamically rotating the part looking underneath with the part shaded. Of coarse I scraped a part before I noticed.

Could this be because for the 3D contour to work correctly I needed to chain geometry at the center of the tool and not the edge? Or is this a bug. It was a 3D path because the ball mill was cutting an island and there was a compound surface at the bottom.

I'm running X4

Thank you all

Yes. You must drive the center of the ball on the 3D contour

Ah ha, the answer arrives. I may have known that a long time ago, don't know for sure but I can tell ya

your reply is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It would have been a lot of work offsetting all those tiny splines. This geometry came from Key creator then from Surf cam, then to me in MCam. Doing a pocket with the original geo. then projecting it would have been the quickest way for me in this case I believe especially if I had to lie about the cutter size to get the correct size slots etc...

Cheers Todd